How deep of a base for paver patio, and what to use as a base

Old 03-21-11, 09:10 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How deep of a base for paver patio, and what to use as a base

not sure how deep the base should be. i have heard anywhere from 3-6 inches.

then what base should i use?

here is a link to the place i will probably but the base from

Landscaping Materials | Albuquerque, NM

and the same question applies to how thick the sand needs to be on top. 1"? 2"?

thanks everyone!!!

Old 03-22-11, 08:10 AM
Just based on the photos and no material specifications, I would suggest the fine crusher gravel, compacted to a 4" thickness. Compact with a plate compactor. If this were something more substantial like a driveway or street it obviously would have to thicker depending on the subgrade. If you want to provide any drainage. slope the base to allow the setting bed to be a uniform thickness.

The following is based on the assumption you are using interlocking concrete pavers (probably 60 or 80 mm thick), since these type of units are the most widely used products in the world.

The setting bed should be concrete sand 1" thick, since more is not better. All you want to do is provide a bed to allow the pavers to be evened out when the set pavers are vibrated. Prior to the vibration of the pavers, spread mason sand (fine sand) over the surface and vibrate with a plate vibrator to even out the surfaces and force the fine sand and the setting bed sand into the tight joints. Make sure you use an edge restraint to prevent the pavers from moving horizontally, which will allow "rocking".

For detailed instructions, take a look at the Interlocking Concrete Paver Institute (ICPI) site. I think the sites is icpi.org.

Dick

Old 03-22-11, 01:09 PM
J
Thanks for the reply.

I am going with 12"x 12" brick pavers that are 1 7/8" thick.

Would your info above still apply?

Old 03-22-11, 02:35 PM
No.

They are just "stepping stones" and are probably made to no established specification. Typically a light duty paver is 2 3/8" thick or more, does not have a dimension over 10" and must be 8000 psi.

Since they are bigger, the base materials and installation method provides the strength because of the width and smaller thickness.

They may still be adequate for a light duty patio with a good sub-base under a compacted base.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: