Joist to Beam Attachment

Old 04-01-11, 10:57 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Joist to Beam Attachment

I am in the planning stage of building a new deck. I plan to use the underside of the deck for storage of tractor and equipment and I need all the headroom possible.
I have a good understanding of building a deck and appreciate the built in safety factors of design.
On the center beam, which will span 24', I would like to attach the Joists to both sides of the double 2"x12" Beam. This would give me the needed headroom. There will be a distance of 14' between Beams.
According to some Deck building instructions, it is stated that in this joist to beam attachment, joists shall not be attached to opposite sides of beam.
Top mounting of joists to beam construction will not be a problem with outside beam as the headroom will be sufficient.
Top mounting of the center joist to beam will require additional excivation and will create a drainage problem.
My question is---Why is this a code requirement, in some places, and is there a particular way that I can attach to both sides?

Old 04-01-11, 01:06 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Code requirement may be that there are multiple penetrations in the beam when fastening to both sides causing enough of a weakness to lower the span rating of the beam. Just a thought, you might run two 2x12's as your beam for joists going one way and right next to them but not attached run two more 2x12's for joists running the other way. This would eliminate joists connected to both sides of a single beam and also you wouldn't have to excavate or create a drainage problem. It might also bulk up the center of your deck and help eliminate potential deflection issues. Check local codes or ask an inspector if this might be an option.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: