Deck project and stair platform question...

Old 04-19-11, 10:58 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck project and stair platform question...

So I have basically completed my upper level platform and main deck area for my house. What I haven't completed yet is the stair platform. (I can access the upstairs and downstairs from the inside staircase). My question is when building my stair platform can I use the existing joists and its bracing against the ledger board has half of my platform support and the rest would be posts, or do I have to use 4 post and just secure it to the rest of the deck structure?? Is using 2 code at all? Ive looked for it but I have yet to find anywhere that addresses a stair platform...

Im sure my description is not detailed enough so I've inlcuded a graphic(its horrible, I know) and some pics. the graphic is not accurate or scale but I think you get the idea of what Im asking...any help is greatly appreciated...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-11, 12:12 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You don't need a platform at all. Secure the stringers directly to the outer joist.

Old 04-19-11, 12:21 PM
S
sorry again, I should have been more specific... I need to have the stairs run parallel to the joist...so the stairs will run down toward the end of the deck...does that make sense?

Old 04-19-11, 02:00 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The platform doesn't have to be a deck level. You can make a landing half way down & have the stairs turn there. I would use 4 posts & cement footings under each, no matter where you put it. I hope you used cement footings under the other posts.

Old 04-19-11, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I think I know what you plan on doing. Yes, you can carriage bolt your platform to the existing deck band, and use two 6x6's at the outer edge, then start your steps parallel to your deck. Now, if you plan on turning the steps, you will need another landing, which will require 4 posts. You may have to do something with the downspout in order to get your newel post close to the house on the landing, then continue with your balustrade around the corner and down the steps. You'll need a balustrade on the inside once it clears the deck, too, so don't forget that.

Old 04-19-11, 02:28 PM
S
cement footings; ABSOLUTELY!!!

Everything was by the book...footers were 25(24" was code for my area)
-6X6 post for deck height
-double 2X10 beams
-2X10 joists...

the reason I was making it essentially parallel to the deck was because the space between the deck and the garage (which is directly behind where the picture was taken) needed to be open enough to have access by a vehicle such as the oil truck (oil furnace).

If I built the deck with stairs going perpendicular to a landing and the have it turn 90 it would take up alot more space...

Old 04-19-11, 04:04 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Then, you're good to go.