Need to reclean deck after lots of rain?

Old 05-23-11, 04:31 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to reclean deck after lots of rain?

I finally got around to staining my deck. I've owned the house since 2008 and the deck is a few years older than that (not exactly sure how old it is) and has to the best of my knowledge never been stained/sealed. We decided to use an solid stain (white) on the railings and skirt boards, and then the deck itself will be a semi-transparent cedar stain. We are using all Olympic brand.

Two weeks ago I sprayed the Olympic deck cleaner on everything and then hosed it off about 15 minutes later. (Let me just say wow as to what a difference that made!) I then got both coats of the white stain on everything that was to be stained white, but I never got around to putting the semi-transparent on the deck as the weather changed. Since then, we've had rain for 9 of the last 10 days, with more rain forecast for the rest of this week. Who knows when I'll get good weather again to do the deck.

My question is, once the weather improves and the deck dries out, should I apply another coat of deck cleaner to it before applying the semi-transparent? And if so, will the deck cleaner harm/remove any of the white stain on the railings (as I'm sure a little will get on the white)?

Thanks.

Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-11, 02:44 AM
E
It sounds like you are well on your way of having a beautiful deck. There is really no reason to redo the cleaning process at this point. As you said, just make sure the wood is dry before applying the deck stain/sealer. With sun, and climate the refinished deck surface will still be fairly high maintenance going forward regardless of what the product advertises. Others might disagree with me, but I have never found Olympic products to be superior to others and actually have found some like Cabot that lasted longer. Am I right in thinking that you are using water based solid on the railings and skirt and oil base semi on the deck boards. The finish on the railings will probably far outlast the deck finish itself.

Old 05-24-11, 02:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 323 Votes on 287 Posts
As long as the deck still looks clean there is no need to reclean it. I've not used enough Olympic stains to be real familiar with their product line. A semi-transparent stain would be either oil base or waterborne [not latex] Price is generally a good indicator of quality and you'll usually find better coatings at your local paint store - not a paint dept.

Old 05-24-11, 07:34 AM
I
OK good to hear I shouldn't have to reclean the deck.

Here's the semi-transparent I'm using on the deck: Olympic MaximumŽ Semi-Transparent Stain

Here's the solid I used on the railings: Olympic MaximumŽ Solid Color Stain

And the deck cleaner: Olympic Premium Deck Cleaner

The railings look great. I ended up doing 3 coats on everything except the balusters because 2 coats didn't look quite right.

Old 05-24-11, 08:07 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I use Olympic because I didn't know any better when I bought it and bought way too much of it

It's not bad but good stuff will buy you more time between recoats

Old 05-29-11, 09:47 AM
I
I'm really itching to get the deck stained with the semi-transparent. They're calling for a chance of rain here for the next few days, but then hedge their bets by saying most of the time should be rain free. The can says it should have 24 hours after applying of no rain, but does it really need that long to dry? My deck has never been sealed/stained before so imagine it will dry fast. What will happen if it's not completely dry and it rains?

I was thinking of doing it early evening tonight or early morning tomorrow (the deck is on the south side of my house with no shade so it would be too hot during the day - supposed to be 90 here tomorrow).

Old 05-29-11, 12:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be better to apply the stain early in the morning providing the dew has dried off. A lot depends on how much rain and how hard it comes down. If the stain has been dry to the touch for several hours and it's just a light rain that doesn't last too long - it probably won't affect it any. The harder the rain comes down and the longer it last, the more chance there is of it harming the stain. Sometimes you just have to take a chance - we don't have much control over the weather

Old 05-29-11, 12:49 PM
I
Yeah that's what I thought too. Plus just found out we have last minute cookout plans tonight anyways. It's just to tempting to look at the nice white railings and the faded deck boards that are just screaming to be stained! I'll keep an eye on the forecast. What kind of harm could a heavier rain cause to the stain if it's not completely dry?

Old 05-29-11, 01:04 PM
D
Right now I see a 40% chance of rain tonight for your area. Memorial day and on is without precip. I'd say stain it as soon as the deck is dry tomorrow and you will be go to go.

Old 05-29-11, 01:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If I read the specs right, you are using a waterborne stain [oil base that cleans up with water] These types of stains dry quick but take longer to cure. Once dry to the touch, a small amount of water won't affect them but if you took a water hose to it - you'd be able to remove the stain. The shorter the drying time and the harder the rain will determine the affect on the stain. The odds are, the stain will be ok with a downpour in less than 24 hrs but 24 hr drying time is the only guarantee that the stain won't be affected. It can be anywhere from no effect, degrading the stain some [where it won't last as long] to visually affecting the stain. The longer the stain has before getting wet, the better.

Old 06-03-11, 11:23 AM
I
Stained the deck last night as we had a few hot days of no rain to dry the deck, and now no rain forecast until tomorrow so it will have at least 36 hours. I think it's pretty dry already. Looks pretty good. I think I got a little more on in a few places as there are a few splotches, but I'll work on that when I do the front porch this summer. Thanks for all the advice.