Azek vs. TimberTech vs. DuraLife

Old 06-01-11, 07:09 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Azek vs. TimberTech vs. DuraLife

I have a 20x12 deck and am going to be taking up the wood planks the previous owner had installed. The current planks are unpainted wood. I want to go with something that is very low in maintenance and is durable for the type of climate that Maine has.

I'm considering going with either:
  1. Azek Decking (PVC)
  2. TimberTech XLM (PVC)
  3. CorrectDeck - Now DuraLife (PVC)
The reason why I'm going for PVC is because it doesn't have wood chips in it which can cause molding.

We primarily use the deck for eating at our patio table/chairs. We have a grill on the deck as well, other than that we don't use it unless we're eating or watching the birds, etc. We do shovel off the deck in the winter as well, so something that can hold up to shoveling would be great as well.

I don't particularly care how it's fastened, as long as it's sturdy and not bouncy. Our supports run the long length of the deck so I was going to put in 12' planks to run perpendicular of the supports which are 16" o.c.

Any experience or recommendation over one or the other? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-11, 08:16 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just had a new deck built for my home. See my drama in the "deck spacing" thread in this forum. It uses Azek on a frame that's 16" OC. When it's hot, it is a little bouncy. I've read that 12" OC stays firm. Most likely, that's true with all PVC products but what do I know. Maybe some day we'll go crazy and add new joists for an over-the-top 8" OC frame. :P

The decking looks amazing and Azek is a great brand. My uncle is a contractor and he loves Azek as well, to the point where he regrets going with composite on his own deck. Too bad he doesn't live near me, I could have avoided the decking spacing drama.