Attaching ledger board

Old 01-01-01, 06:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have read in the "how to" section about attaching ledger boards to the house. I see that the method described is to space the ledger out from the house using washers. I have vinyl siding and other people I have talked to suggested attaching the ledger directly to the house, ie., cutting the siding away to bolt directly to the "micro-laminate" material that sits on the foundation. It seems easier to use the washer method. Any benefits to either approach? Please help.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-01, 12:54 AM
some help
Visiting Guest
Hello
Why make a big hole in the side of you house for water to get in? Installing with washers give air space between the ledger and the siding, coulking around the bolts and under the washers makes a water tight conection, leave at least 1/2" air space and hold the deck boards 1/2" away from siding to,this will alow you to keep the air space clean. Very important to make sure you install center posts and beams to help support the joist. If a building permit is need it is in your best interest to get one, this help you get a good safe deck. In some area now if you should sell your house it may need to be inspected and cleard of any illegal additions to the house, and brout to code or removed before it can be sold..