New Deck Support Question

Old 06-09-11, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Deck Support Question

I'm building a new deck (The main area is 14' X 20') for my house and have created the design with the referencing of DIY deck building book. My Ledger 2"X10" (Treated) is affixed to the house by two "LedgerLock Bolts every 12". My Joists (Treated) are 2"X10"X14' (Planed down to 9.5") and 12"OC. The support beams are 6"X12"X10' (Cedar) supported by 6"X6"X8' posts (Cedar). The Joists are supported by the beam at the 13' mark. My plan is to use composite decking laid on a diagonal axis.

From the dimensions above, I'm wondering if my joist span is to much for the weight of having a two family gathering? Should I have placed the beam closer? Do I need to add an additional support beam closer to the house? Or will the this structure hold just fine?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-11, 08:42 PM
Though most recommend building free standing decks, if you do utilize a ledger, you can put your first beam 3-4' off the foundation off the house. This will reduce your span and keep most of the weight off the side of your house thus making your ledger mostly lateral support plus 3' to 4' should be past the overdig for your foundation.

Old 06-22-11, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the response getzjd1. I probably left out some critical information which is this deck is approximately 10' off the ground and I was planning on using the space underneath the deck as a paved patio area. So having post at the 3' to 4' mark would be occupying working space.

Old 06-22-11, 12:21 PM
What is your ledger going to be attached to? I know its going against the house but are you attaching it the rim of your joists that are spanning the floor under the house?

Old 07-02-11, 02:35 PM
There was a previous house mounted ledger for a deck of which I removed and am now replacing. The new ledger is approximately 4" higher than the first one and fixed by the ledger lock bolt that I mentioned in the original posting. These bolts are no where near the original holes. I've placed caulking in all of the original mounting holes, and have caulked the top of the entire new ledger to ward off any water entering the house or weakening the support. As for if it's in Rim Joists of the housing floor plan, I am assuming so.