Adding a freestanding deck for a hot tub.

Old 07-04-11, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a freestanding deck for a hot tub.

I am looking to add a freestanding deck to support a 5 person hot tub. Planning on making the deck just big enough for the tub about 20 inches off ground next to an existing deck. If i use 2 x 10 lumber for joists, about how many footings will i need. Plan on sinking in tubes and filling with concrete (12 x 48 inch tubes). Putting metal post holders in each and putting joists either directly in holders or maybe on a 15 inch high 6 X 6 post. Deck will only be 8 ft x 8 ft just big enough to hold the tub. Any ideas on how many posts i need. will it be possible to build it sturdy enough.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-11, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Hi.

What I did for my hot tub was get railroad ties 6"x6"x12ft. I made a square with them so the deck is 12'x12'. Buried them 3" in the ground. Also put them in the middle of the square to support the flooring. I put 4 in the center so the spacing was not too far.

I did this instead of regular deck construction because of the weight. You can see the deck here. You see the electric is still there on the side of the shed. I removed it because it needed repair and the electric bill was costing $100 plus a month just for the hot tub. To me it was not worth the 10 times a yr we used it.

Cost me I think less then $200 in material and my labor which was free.

I am sure the carpenters are making faces.

Oh just make sure your level. I was alittle off and the water in the tub had a high side....LOL I used a level but I think if your off slightly it makes a big difference. I had about a 1" difference from one side of the waterline to the otherside.

Mike NJ

Old 07-05-11, 05:15 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Hey, Mike, nice fire protection for the shed, there.
Galileo, I'd use one for each corner and one in the middle for overkill.