how to finish space under my covered porch

Old 07-08-11, 07:27 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to finish space under my covered porch

I have an old house which we added a side porch to 5 years ago. We thought at some point we would utilize the space underneath it so when it was built we put foundation all around the porch exterior with cinderblock and poured a cement floor. I think I would like to enclose this space and finish it. The height is around 8' to bottom of floor joists above. Above this is a covered porch but need to seal the ceiling as space above is still open to the weather if it rains etc. I really don't get water underneath but the floor is not sealed above. I would also like to heat this space so I think the ceiling would also need to be insulated. What is the best way to finish this project and make it look like it wasn't an afterthought. We will be using real stone veneer to cover the blocking foundation as this is on the basement level. My property slopes so this space is above ground. Any suggestions or pics??? I am not sure if I need to build another roofing system below my porch floor joists.... that would take up a lot of space, also not looking for plastic to finish if possible but that might be my only choice.
Thanks

Old 07-09-11, 05:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Since the porch floor is not waterproofed, you will need some method to keep water from coming through and soaking what is underneath. Two choices. Apply a waterproof floor on the porch or install a rain diverter system underneath. The latter will need to have a pitch to it and a guttering system to carry the water away. This all can be installed in an enclosed area as long as provision is made for the guttering to allow exiting to the atmosphere. Maybe you could post a couple of pix of what you have. Seeing what you see will help us give better answers. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: