New flagstone patio

Old 07-11-11, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New flagstone patio

Hi,

I just had a new 12X16 flagstone patio installed. The patio guy used local natural flagstone that we collected on our property. He built a block retaining wall on the perimeter which will be cladded and the natural flagstone patio surface was embedded in what appears to be a mixture of patio base and stone dust. It seems to have turned out fine except that there still appears to be some movement in some of the stones. The patio guy says to keep sweeping this stone dust material onto the patio and to keep misting it down for a while and everything should eventually lock in. Is this accurate? After a week of this process there is still movement and when the fill material dries out there are visible voids around the stone from shrinking of the fill material. Is there another material that I could sweep in to lock this up better? Thanks for any input

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-11, 09:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 54 Votes on 51 Posts
I've never worked with flagstone but a paver installation like this will involve the sweeping of paver sand into the joints to lock the pavers in place, so the concept could be viable.

That said, I'm a little concerned about visible voids after a week - where is the material you're sweeping into the joints going?

Old 07-11-11, 10:21 AM
It really doesn't appear to be going anywhere that I can tell. It has been hot and very dry and as I've said it seems to shrink or pull away from the stones slightly as it dries out after misting.

Old 07-11-11, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
If you've been doing this for a week, I would think you would be seeing significant accumulation of the material in the joints - is that happening?

Old 07-11-11, 12:16 PM
Right now there is a lot of material in and on top of the stones. I'm basically pushing around the joint material as I brush it. My feeling is that when the material gets wet it swells to fill the voids and when it dries in shrinks and pulls away from the stone

Old 07-11-11, 12:40 PM
Group Moderator
If it's expanding and contracting with moisture, I don't think it's a good material to use but I don't have the credentials to render that as anything more than an opinion