Mould & Fungus on an 'Upside Down' Deck...?!

Old 08-24-11, 02:31 AM
E
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mould & Fungus on an 'Upside Down' Deck...?!

Have inherited a rather interesting deck. The view is great over the back yard where kangaroos graze the river flats. However, lack of care has left it a little rotten in places on the top railing, and certainly lots of green scunge on the deck floor.

Additionally, it appears to me as though it's been laid upside down . I'm no expert but have a look at the pictures to tell me if i'm right or not.

Firstly, apart from the obvious need to replace the one rotten top rail, i want to ask how i can tell if the whole thing is a write-off based on the presence of what botanists call bracket-fungus, and if not, what to do about it, and the green mould. If it's salvageable, then i'd probably consider flipping the deck floor boards too.

ABOVE: Fungus and rot

BELOW: 'top' of deck and 'below' deck respectively...?

Old 08-24-11, 04:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums!! The deck boards are unique and interesting. The original intent may have been for the grooves to be down to prevent warping , but golly, it sure looks good, and would help with traction on wet days. As far as the handrails go, replace them, obviously as the rot has begun to take it's toll. To get rid of the green stuff, you could use a pump up sprayer and mix a weak solution of bleach and water and just spray it on. If you have a humid atmosphere, it may need to be repeated yearly to keep it under control.

Old 08-24-11, 05:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
the way I clean a deck

I like to wet the deck and then use the pump up garden sprayer to apply a 50/50 bleach water solution [never stronger than 50% bleach as the bleach can destroy wood fibers] I let it set but not dry and then rinse it with a pressure washer [a garden hose will also work] Stubborn areas might need to be gone over a second time, scrubbing those areas with an old broom might be beneficial.

Applying a stain will help to preserve the wood and will usually slow down mildew/mold growth. Extra mildewcide can be added to the stain if mildew is expected to be an ongoing problem.

Old 08-24-11, 08:20 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,177 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Mark and I use the same method to clean a deck except I always scrub the deck when the bleach solution is sitting on it with a stiff nylon bristled brush.

I took a nearly black deck to blonde with two applications on one occasion.

Old 08-24-11, 07:27 PM
E
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Welcome to the forums!! The deck boards are unique and interesting. The original intent may have been for the grooves to be down to prevent warping , but golly, it sure looks good, and would help with traction on wet days.
Gday Chandler, thanks for the welcome! Yeah i hadn't actually thought about the traction issue, but you are right! I still prefer natural look of the timber below, especially once it was stained.. but given disabled member of family you might be onto something with the traction..

Old 08-24-11, 09:52 PM
E
Thanks all, definitely replacing the handrails then as expected! So there's likely to be little concern about it having spread down the vertical posts or supports? i assume not but worth asking. There's certainly no sign of rot in those though which is good.

Also, regardless of whether to turn the boards over of not there's also the greenness on the underside of the boards as you can see from the last pic. I imagine spraying the bleach solution will sort that out too but i worry about where it sits on the joist

Old 08-25-11, 04:20 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 698 Likes on 616 Posts
I wouldn't worry about what sits over the joists - sure it will become an issue some day but a deck will never last forever Personally I wouldn't bother with removing the boards and flipping them. That's way too much work and you'll wind up breaking some of the boards. You would also likely have a finishing issue [unless you use a solid stain] every 16" where the boards have sat on the joists.

Like Larry, I also thing the deck boards are unique and interesting

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: