Steps with an overhang

Old 09-08-11, 03:03 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Steps with an overhang

I am building steps down a hillside to connect to a dock/gangway.

The slope ends at the lake itself and I am unable to place posts at the end of the stairs because they would be in the water/mud.

What i need to know is this: Can my stairs extend about 15 inches past the last post without any support?

link Is Online!
this drawing shows the portion of stairs past the post.

Will this work?

Thanks

Dave

Old 09-08-11, 03:57 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
One of the deck experts can probably answer this better but until then, my guess would be no. You would be depending solely on the stringers for support and I think they would probably split. Why can't you put posts in the water or stop the steps at the last post and add a separate step to the dock?

If that won't work you could probably extend support under the steps, on the inside of the stringer and tie it back to the last post. Actually, on second thought that's probably what I would do.

Old 09-08-11, 04:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Is the dock fixed, or does it rise and fall with water levels?

Old 09-08-11, 07:12 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dock

it rises and falls.

Thats why the steps don't connect to the gangway.

i can't figure how to tie the stringers ends to the last posts. Nor do i know how to dig the posts into the water at lakes edge.

Old 09-08-11, 07:40 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm not sure how the water level would impact this, but could you run an angled brace from a lower point on the last existing post to the bottom of the riser for the last step, creating a "triangle bracing" situation?

Old 09-09-11, 05:11 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
Steps

Stop the stairs at the post. Install a ramp from the bottom step to the dock. Hinge the ramp at the steps end and allow the end of the ramp at the dock to "float" up and down with the change in water level.

Old 09-09-11, 06:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Bingo, Ken got it, I think. That's how we do it here. Our lake is a TVA controlled one, and they take it down after labor day to compensate for the spring thaw that will fill it back up. Wherever the step landing ends, you hinge a ramp (best is step tread aluminum 1/4" or so) to the last step and let it slip and slide on top of the dock ramp, which is rising and falling. A smooth steel plate is placed on the dock for the ramp to slide on and prevent damage to the wood of the ramp.
Modified your pix a little.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: