Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Deck post location question - how much can the beam extend outside of the post?

Old 09-19-11, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I spotted the footings for my deck yesterday and it looks like i need to move one over by a few inches in order to avoid an underground gas line.

Right now, my plans call for four 6x6 posts to hold up my 21' double 2x10 beam. The posts are about 6'7" apart and the outer ends of the beam hang about 2" off the posts.

If I move one of my end posts about 6" towards the middle of the structure, my footing will be safely away from the gas line. Is this a major issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-11, 03:26 PM
The simple answer is: No. Is there anything you're not telling us that makes the problem complex?

Old 09-19-11, 08:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 58 Posts
Just to be a little clearer, it is not an issue to have the beam cantilever 6" off the post. Some areas allow 24" cants.

Old 09-20-11, 02:40 AM
First, why are you using dbl. 2X's for the beam on 6X6 posts? Simpson has a base cap (BCS2-3/6) that would let you put a TRIPLE 2X beam on a 6X6 post. They don't have one for attaching a DBL 2X beam to a 6X6 post. Using a TRIPLE 2X beam would allow you to increase the span between posts, possibly eliminating one of the posts. (Depends on where you're building this deck, what load requirements you have to meet, what kind of wood you are using, etc.)

If you use a DBL 2X beam, how are you going to attach it to a 6X6 post??

Allowable cantilever depends on where you're at and what you local bldg. dept. will allow. Again, that all comes back to the species of wood you are using for the framing. Doug fir and SYP will be one thing. Cedar or redwood will be considerably less.

Old 09-20-11, 03:39 PM
I don't think there's anything that makes it more complicated.

As far as double vs. triple beam... Double 2x10 is what's called for by my local codes. I suppose I could do triple w/ Simpson ties, but instead of that I was going to notch 3" x 9.5" out of the top of the post and secure to the post with 1/2" galvanized through-bolts. Posts & beams will be pressure treated pine..

Old 09-20-11, 04:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 66 Votes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Spaceball1 View Post
I don't think there's anything that makes it more complicated.

As far as double ........but instead of that I was going to notch 3" x 9.5" out of the top of the post and secure to the post with 1/2" galvanized through-bolts. Posts & beams will be pressure treated pine..
That is how it is done in our area. Notched post with carriage bolts through. Hot dipped galvanized of course.