Help! Oil-based stain still sticky!

Old 09-25-11, 02:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help! Oil-based stain still sticky!

Yesterday we applied stain to our beautiful, newly built, pressure-treated wood deck. My husband used a roller, while I filled in between boards with a brush. By the time we finished, we could see lots of uneven drying and 'puddling' of the stain. Today it looks awful: shiny sticky areas, and dry dull areas. And every rough surface shows. The weather has been breezy and hot (30C daytime and 14C at night).
The product used was Olympic semi-transparent alkyd oil-based stain we had stored in the basement for about 6 years. Too old?? I afraid we really messed up!
Is there any way to dry up the sticky areas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-11, 03:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 118 Votes on 105 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

It sounds like the stain was applied too heavy since the harder parts of the wood didn't soak up the stain well making it harder for the coating to dry. Also if a wet edge wasn't maintained while applying the stain there can be lap marks - where small areas have 2 coats. While it's possible that the old stain contributed to the issues - I don't think it was the main cause.

Could you supply a few pics of the deck? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

The probable fix may vary from using a rag wet with paint thinner to scrub off the excess stain to applying another coat to dress it up.

Old 09-25-11, 04:49 PM
deck after staining

Photos of deck >30 hours after staining
http://photobucket.com/deckafterstaining

Last edited by atsandys; 09-25-11 at 05:17 PM.
Old 09-26-11, 04:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your link goes to a password protected page

Old 09-26-11, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 38 Votes on 30 Posts
You need to log out of your account first, then go in as a visitor. Then post that link.

Old 09-26-11, 09:13 AM
Sorry. I think this link should work.
Today the deck is still tacky and looks about the same as yesterday. I stepped on it and left a dull footprint.

http://photobucket.com/deckafterstaining

Old 09-26-11, 09:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, it looks like y'all applied too much stain. It's possible given more time the stain will dry. You could take a bucket of paint thinner and use a rag to 'scrub' the deck. That should soften up and remove the extra stain. A pressure washer would also work but it would also likely remove too much stain..... and you might have to apply another coat. I've heard that you can spray japan drier on top of solvent based coatings to make them dry but I've never used japan drier in that way.

Old 09-26-11, 09:50 AM
Unhappy

Thanks for the advice. Guess we better get out the knee pads and get to work.

Old 09-26-11, 08:14 PM
I had a similar predictiment with a piece of furnature.
I had stripped and sanded a beautiful dresser, even used a tack cloth and wet down floor to contain dust.
I bought Ace Hardware's most expensive stain and applied exactly as instructed.
Four days later, in a 90 degree garage it was too tacky to touch.
I read the information on the container and discovered the stain was manufactured by Ace. Some of their stain and paint is made elswhere.
I called the tool free number and the represenative stated that they had some bad stain recently and this was probably one He said---sorry
Needless to say, I returned to the store for a refund.
I bought SW and it worked perfectly after about 6 or 8 hours of removing the Ace stain
I was told later by the store manager that the stain didn't have enough hardner
I am not trying to discourage you, as you have a much bigger problem, but that was a few years ago and I now test every stain and paint before applying.
Why not apply a light even coating on a piece of scrap wood and see what results you get with the stain you used or a new product

Old 09-27-11, 05:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
"I was told later by the store manager that the stain didn't have enough hardner"

It would actually be not enough drier. Hardners are used to chemically set the drying process and once added, the coating only has a short time to be used. I used some oil base primer about 40 yrs ago that the manufacture messed up and didn't mix in enough drier. It shut the job down for a week while their reps came in, verified the problem and formulated a solution. It would have been a simple solution to add japan drier to that primer before I sprayed it - but who knew

I've used old coatings from time to time and generally if the paint/stain mixes up well and looks like it is suppose to - it's fine to use. I believe atsandys issue was caused by over application of the coating as stains are formulated so that absorption is part of the drying process.

Old 09-27-11, 05:53 AM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
Deck stain and wood stain are used differently - staining a piece of furniture, you let the stain sit for a while and then wipe off the excess. With deck stain, there's no wiping off the excess.

While it could be a product issue, I think Mark's right and the stain was just applied too heavily.

Old 09-27-11, 11:34 AM
Thanks guys. How does one apply such products as japan drier, or thinner? Since the deck is about 20x20 (plus) I'm hoping I can spray it on, or maybe mop it on, instead of wiping the boards with a rag. Then do I spray it off with a garden hose, or leave it to dry?

Old 09-27-11, 03:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I've only used japan drier as an additive.... mostly in cold weather. You can add a small amount to oil base paint to speed up the drying time. If you add too much, it often sucks the sheen out of the paint. I heard awhile back that you could spray japan drier over tacky oil base paint/stain to make it set up. You are suppose to mix the japan drier with paint thinner but I don't know how much. I would think spraying would be the best way to apply it - a pump up garden sprayer would work. You would leave it to dry and/or be absorbed by the tacky stain. Again, I've only heard that this will work. I've never seen it done and have not done it myself.

Old 10-02-11, 10:14 PM
Deck Stain Still Sticky

Thank you to everyone for the advice. Since we still have more fall work to get done, we've decided to adopt a 'wait and see' attitude with our 2-tone sticky deck. While it is still tacky in places, we are walking on it, and no color sticks to our feet, not even my white sock feet. Guess it'll be covered with snow in a few weeks. Then we'll see what the Spring brings as mother nature has her way.