Mobile home addition

Old 01-30-12, 02:57 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mobile home addition

Okay, I'm wanting to do some major renovations to my mobile home, I'm actually scared that I might be a little to ambitious..lol But I want to add on a room that will expand my living room and also be a mater bedroom...We plan on just doing this as we go along and not have to take out a loan...I would like to take down a part of the outside wall so it would open up into the new living room..is all this possible or maybe not worth the time and aggravation?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-12, 03:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

That's how I built my house, actually I'm not completely done but it's all been pay as I go - the bank's never had a note on my place

The biggest downside is insurance. Since I don't have a title for my trailer or even know what brand it is, it's limited my insurance options. With a title you can get/keep MH insurance on both the MH and the additions but the premiums are higher than it would be for a tradition house.

Any exterior wall that is removed will have to have the load replaced with the proper size header. Obviously you'll want proper support below for the addition.

What type of trailer do you have? an older one with the flat roof? or the newer [mid 70's and up] with the 3/12 pitch roof?

Old 01-31-12, 11:25 AM
L
BE CAREFUL!!

First, in a lot of states, manufactured housing (and alterations to it) is controlled by the State, not the local City or County Bldg. Dept. The State has pre-approved plans for such alterations that have to be followed. Any such alterations that are done without a State permit will probably void your homeowners insurance coverage. It would be in your best interest to check that out before you begin.

Second, manufactured housing is designed to support it's own structure, as built by the mfgr., and little or nothing more. Additions like you are talking about are done as a free-standing addition, with basically only flashing connecting them to the manufactured home.

And how much of the exterior wall you can safely remove is limited.

Done properly, it can be great. Done wrong and it will become your worst nightmare!!

Old 01-31-12, 04:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I wasn't aware of any state regulations concerning MH additions, I assume it doesn't apply in Tn. I've built about a 1/2 dozen MH additions [for me, family,friends] both with and without permits. Both here and in fla [20+ yrs ago] the permit office made no mention of needing to satisfy anyone other than them. The last one I did was for a 'rental' trailer I had that my grandson and his parents live in [free rent ] The insurance company's only concern was that I had gotten permits for the addition.

That said, it's best to find out all the pertinent BEFORE the addition is started. It might make a grown man cry if the state came by and condemned the job just as you were finishing

Old 02-01-12, 12:15 AM
L
Codes,enforcement proceedures, who's responsible for what, whether a permit is required or not, ... it ALL varies from one place to the next. Before you do anything, check with your local bldg. dept. about what you are proposing to do, listen to what they tell you is required, and act accordingly.

I can tell you what is required in most parts of WA and CA, but that has NOTHING to do with what's required in LA! You'll be doing this addition in LA, so you have to follow THEIR rules and regs.