Water erosion under deck!

Old 01-14-01, 09:10 PM
Visiting Guest
I am going to attach 6 ml plastic with 1 x 1 sheating to the underside of my deck to prevent rain water from eroding the dirt foundation under the deck and adjoining bedroom which are on stilts..
Has anyone any pointers for me? thanks..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-01, 06:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Depending upon the type of wood that your deck is made of (redwood? pressure-treated?), you are going to encourage rot, ice build-up, etc. by doing that.
It would be better to slope the ground under the deck away from your home, cover the ground with a landscaping fabric, and cover that with gravel.
Good Luck!

Old 01-15-01, 09:16 PM
Visiting Guest
To Old Guy:

Thanks for your input about the problem with my deck water. It sounds like that would be the better way to go as I was wondering about the wood rotting over the years.

I was also thinking of some sort of a french drain system as well to get the water away from the stilts. should I do both or just the gravel. How can I make the gravel stay on the fabric if it is at an angle? thanks for your help.

Old 01-16-01, 05:35 AM
Cool

The French drain idea may be a good one if your soil does not absorb water readily. That's your call.
The gravel should stay in place on the landscaping fabric from its own weight, unless the slope is too steep. You may have to shovel/rake it back up or add to it once in a great while, if it washes down (which I doubt will happen).
Good Luck!

Old 01-16-01, 07:58 AM
Visiting Guest
What size gravel stones should I get. I'm talking about a
12 x 12 foot space here and the drop is about five feet.
My furnance is located under the bedroom and that area is dry so I'm trying to keep the water away from that area.

The problem I see is that to ge under the deck to gain access to the basement I put a lattice gate under the deck so I have to walk over and over that area where the hill would slope. That's why I was thinking of putting a frence drain there. You are great to help me with this... carol

Old 01-16-01, 11:53 AM
Cool

A 5-foot drop in just 12 feet? That IS steep.
I would use larger size gravel, and frame out some terrace steps with pressure-treated 4"X4"s filled with gravel to get to the basement.
The steps don't have to be wide or close together, just set apart enough to climb safely carrying a load getting into the basement.
Good Luck!

Old 01-22-01, 02:59 PM
Visiting Guest
Instead of trying to get gravel under the deck (While trying to manuever a slope like that), why dont you just get HEAVY clear plastic sheeting, lay it under the whole deck (on the ground), and secure it with some spikes into the ground through the plastic? That should stop the erosion.

Good Luck,
LVADERS

Old 01-23-01, 08:23 AM
Visiting Guest
erosion

Thanks for your reply. However I think what I said about the slope is misleading. It is not a five foot "slope" drop...but a five feet from the deck to the ground! The slope is very slight but is eroding due to the water..
I was going to put lattice panels under the deckwood to secure the 6ml plastic so the water wouldn't evern get near the dirt but this is a lot of overhang work for me and I was looking for an easier way. I like the idea of both the landscape/plastic fabric with the gravel. Do you think that would work? Thanks.

Old 01-23-01, 08:35 AM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like it'll work to me.

If you really want to keep the water from the ground, use the plastic. Just make sure that whatever the ground
slopes "towards", will probably have alot of water rushing away, since the ground will not be absorbing any of it. If it slopes away from your house, thats ok. If it slopes towards another part of your house, that can make a whole new problem.

Otherwise, use the Landscape fabric, that will allow the ground to absorb some of the water, but still hold back on the erosion problem.

Good luck!

Lvaders