rubber (of somthing like it) temporary patio

Old 03-03-12, 02:24 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cool rubber (of somthing like it) temporary patio

We put a big playset on the best location for my hoped for patio. Now I just want something temporary but will last several years to make a patio.

I was thinking about rubber tiles that you put on the lawn, so when we are ready to plant grass there again, it will be no problem.

I found some EnviroTile at Home Depot, but that gets pretty bad ratings. Does anyone know of something I can put on the ground and create a temporary patio until we no longer need the playset or build a real patio next to the house which would require a roof since there is no shade there.

The area is pretty wet and low, so I don't think it is a place where you could put those wood tiles.

Can someone suggest brands or places to buy something like what I'm writing about. I'm not looking for a great patio, just something so our chairs don't make holes in the ground when sitting in the shade by the playset.

Thanks

Old 03-03-12, 02:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Could you not border the area and place pea gravel in the playset area? We did that at our church to replace nasty and dirty pine bark nuggets. Kids were always dirty after play. Installed the pea gravel and they love it. Having the pea gravel in the area will be not as expensive as any tiles you plan on using and you don't have to level the ground as you would with the tiles.

Old 03-04-12, 08:38 AM
C
Pea Gravel

Wouldn't the legs of resin chairs just dig into pea gravel just like it does our grass? I am tired of sitting in the grass and having the chairs dig in.

cilla

Old 03-04-12, 12:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 662 Upvotes on 562 Posts
We have some large rubber mats in our barn for our horses that work quite well. They are 4'x6' and 3/4" thick. They are quite durable since they are made for 1200lb horses. They are not cheap at $40+ per mat. We got ours at Tractor Supply, but I have seen them at other farm type stores.

Old 03-04-12, 03:41 PM
C
That is not bad $160/ gets me 12' x 8'. I will have to drive an hour to get to the closest Tractor Supply.

I'm also going to price putting down brick pavers on sand before I make the drive. Lots of people are using them for non-barn uses, like dogs, weight rooms etc.

cilla

Old 03-04-12, 03:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 662 Upvotes on 562 Posts
Yea, Soon as my wife saw them, we had to get another one because she wanted one in her workout room. We just made the ground fairly flat and set them on the ground. Get help handling them because they are kind of heavy and awkward.

Old 03-12-12, 06:36 PM
C
prices of alternatives

I priced out the different choices.

8 x 12' rubber mats (stall mat) 4 = $160 + cost of sand

approx 9'x12' of 16" concrete tiles - stamped to look like brick at Home Depot @ 4.07/sq = 63 squares = $256. + cost of sand and some lumber to contain.

Another alternative Emsco resin pavers from Home Depot, package of 12 16"x16" pavers cost $77.00 so 60 ft/sq (a little smaller than 9x12) is 5 boxes == almost $400 for a patio of those

If I price brick or concrete/brick pavers I will post the price comparisons.

So far those stall mats are looking better and better

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: