How can you take a nailed deck apart without breaking up the boards?

Old 03-30-12, 03:31 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How can you take a nailed deck apart without breaking up the boards?

I'd really appreciate suggestions for taking apart an old deck that was nailed together with 3" nails. I'd like to do it without breaking up the deck boards. The boards are about 7/8" thick and a foot wide, actual meas. The framework underneath the boards is roughcut 2x4s that are on the soil and rotting at the bottom, and I'd like to take the deck boards up and replace the whole thing with cement 'piers' and rot resistant frame and deck wood.

Most of the boards are in fairly good shape and I'd like to save them for various re-use if I can, but the nails have rusted in and I'm not having much success levering them up with the cat's paw type of crowbars.

One idea I'm considering is levering them up as much as I can and then trying to get a saws-all blade underneath to cut the nails off between the bottom of the boards and the frame.

Another idea would be to get a drill bit that would drill a hollow plugs of about 1/2" diameter through the 7/8" thick boards, where the nails are, so that the boards will just lift off the frame. I hope that there is such a drill bit? But obviously the problem with this idea is that then the boards will have the plug holes in them . . .

Is there a better way, and are there suggestions about the best way to proceed with either of the two ideas that I have so far?

Thanks. I love doityourself.com

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-12, 04:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I would think either method, prying and cutting or over drilling would work. You may wind up overdrilling anyway once you get the boards to a useful end. Try method one first and see what happens. Sure would like to see a pix of these boards. If they are weathered nicely you may have some good reclaimed wood on your hands. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-01-12, 04:05 AM
Hello Chandler, thanks for your encouragment. You asked for a photo . . . here is a link https://picasaweb.google.com/1080291...70293748429362 I hope it works it's the first time I've tried this.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-01-12, 05:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
UhOh, the deck is on grade. They only problem I see is moisture underneath the boards. They have weathered nicely on top, but may be trash on the bottom. I would try starting from the outside, with a slight pry, then recip the nails. You won't be tearing up the boards that way. Send a pix of the underside when you get one up. Not a close up.

Old 05-26-12, 02:23 PM
Video help

Hi there is some information regarding nails in this video. I hope it can help you.

how to replace boards on a deck with Bobby The Builder - YouTube