Composite Decking advice please?

Old 03-30-12, 03:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Composite Decking advice please?

Hi All

Need some help please, I am looking at laying a 11 x 21ft deck in my Florida yard and would really like to use Composite Decking, checked out Lowes and they have Trex and another one in stock for about $38 for a 16ft board which looks good but I did a search on eBay to see if anything else was available and a company about an hour from me is selling another type of Composite Decking and it says "A.E.R.T Woodtone COEK Woodgrain 16' Composite Deck Board".

Does anyone know of this type of board or have any advice, it runs a lot cheaper than Lowes, I will have to pick it up myself but its around $25 for a 16ft length so its going to save me a bit but I don't want to buy bad decking.

This is the eBay link A.E.R.T Woodtone COEK Woodgrain 16' Composite Deck Board | eBay

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-12, 04:28 PM
I don't know anything about the A.E.R.T. Composite, but have a Trex deck that I hate. Built it about 4 years ago and before the summer was over it was developing black mold spots all over. They do not go away...have done everything, and I can get rid of them for a couple months maybe, but then they are back, because they never really disappear completely. Unless Trex and other composite deck manufacturers have fixed the mold issue, I do not recommend it.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 03-30-12 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Entire quote not needed
Old 03-30-12, 05:33 PM
Composite decking is great. We use it all the time Trex is good too. The only reason I could see it developing mold would be because it gets absolutely no sun. Either would be fine.

Old 03-30-12, 08:44 PM
From what I've heard from people making their living at installing decks, TimberTech composite is better than Trex, as well as being somewhat cheaper. I helped a neighbor build a Trex deck, and within a few years the thing looked "rough" (for lack of a better term). Bleached out, but not uniformly--very ugly.

Old 03-30-12, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 247 Votes on 227 Posts
I'm working on an Ipe deck right now, using the Kreg deck jig fastening system. Pretty slick.

Old 04-04-12, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the replies, so no one knows anything about the eBay deck I linked to then? Is there such a thing as bad composite deck? Anything I should look out for when buying it?

Thanks

Stu