Planning on moving my existing deck

Old 04-21-12, 02:13 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Planning on moving my existing deck

I have an existing deck which was built alongside an above ground pool. The pool is gone so I want to move the deck behind the house. The deck is approx 14' long by 10' wide. The back of the house is 19" high, I was planning on removing the cross braces as the deck will only be a few inches off the blacktop. My plan is to pour 4 sono tube footings keeping the cement a few inches below the top of the tube then cutting the posts about 6" from the 2 by 12's. The thought is that this would allow me to level the deck on the footings by cutting each leg. Does this sound doable?? Also does the deck need to be attached to the house by code (nys) basically this deck will be just above the ground. Do I need to have a building permit??? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-12, 02:44 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Last question first. Yes, you will need a permit. You mentioned "blacktop" very fast, and I was wondering is this deck going to be set on a driveway extension or similar patio?? You will need 3 posts per side for rigidity. Don't let your concrete go below the sonotubes. Bury the sonotube exactly where you want it and level the concrete on top. You can install post bases with tails at that point, or drill and bolt them later. All your measurements will need to be taken long before you move the deck. You will need to string the outline and make calculations from that level line down to the tops of the sonotubes so you can cut the legs off properly, THEN set the deck on the post bases. It does not need to be attached to the house. In fact, it would be better free standing.

Old 04-21-12, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would call the local AHJ and inquire about the legality of free-standing decks in NY State. If allowed there, it's a better option than attaching to the house, for several reasons. And don't forget to apply a heavy dose of preservative to any exposed post ends after you're cut them; otherwise they will deteriorate rapidly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: