Weather Deck---Restore? Elastuff?

Old 04-26-12, 06:48 AM
Gia
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weathered Deck---Restore? Elastuff?

Has anyone ever heard of or used either Restore (available at Home Depot) or Elastuff (I only found online) to refinish a badly weathered deck? I have a huge deck that I tried restaining a few years ago but the wood is so cracked, splintered and weathered that it didn't last at all.

If you've used these products did you fill in the larger cracks with an epoxy or something similiar prior? ....Elastuff recommends this.

Looking for opinions and even pics if you have.

Thanks!

Last edited by Gia; 04-26-12 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-26-12, 09:11 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've heard of 'restore' but not 'elastuff' but I'm not familiar with either.

I usually let the age and condition of the deck dictate which stain should be applied. New or decks in great condition usually get a toner [translucent] or semi-transparent stain. Old decks in rough shape will get a solid stain. Sometimes I'll push some caulking into the bigger cracks.

I'd be leery of any coating that fills the cracks. While it might fill the minor cracks, sooner or later it will peel in some areas which would likely make it harder to make the deck look good the next time you restain.

I doubt the fact that the wood was well weathered caused the stain to fail early. What prep did you do? what stain did you use?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: