need advice on old porch foundation

Old 04-29-12, 04:27 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
need advice on old porch foundation

I have this old sinking porch. I have it raised up and have cleared out the loose debris from under the wall. There is somewhat of a foundation, but I'm pretty sure it only goes down a foot or so. But it has held up the porch for about 100 yrs, so I wonder if I could just add a green 4x4 between the existing "foundation" and let the structure back down on that. I poured some 12" footings 4 ' deep to raise the structure, and those will stay in place to help support the porch.

I know this isn't the best plan, but maybe it would work out OK for the next 20 yrs (til the house is replaced by a mcmansion).

Best option I think would be to dig down, removing the existing concrete. Dig a trench wall (4' deep of course) and rebuild the porch on top.

Just looking for a little push towards doing the right thing, greasing up the elbows and getting to work digging!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-12, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I suspect you haven't received responses because of the illogical nature of your post. First you said you poured 12" footings 4' deep, then you asked if you should start removing them?

Are we missing something???