Asphalt under deck?

Old 04-30-12, 12:24 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Asphalt under deck?

Hi All,

Do I need to tear out all asphalt if I'm just going to be putting a low level deck and pavers in place of it?

It's roughly 25ftx25ft asphalt slab that has been in place for about 30 years and settled. It's sealed as well. I'm going to put a deck in it's place and surround it by loose rocks with pavers as the pathway. I'm just curious if I would be doing any harm by not having to rip all the asphalt out but rather just build right over it and only ripping out the areas for the post foundations.

It does slope slightly away from the house which I think is good. I thought I would just make sure the deck and pavers were level and that would be good to go. Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks!

Old 04-30-12, 12:26 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not sure I have the whole picture yet - am I reading correctly that nothing will be support by the asphalt?

Old 04-30-12, 12:42 PM
T
Deleted posting. Accidentally posted twice.

Last edited by Topherle; 04-30-12 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Deleted
Old 04-30-12, 12:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
OK, so the deck sounds like it might work.

Tell me more about the pavers.

Old 04-30-12, 12:46 PM
T
Hi Mitch,

Yes, my initial plan was to cut out the asphalt only where the deck footings will go. So the deck would not be supported by the asphalt. I thought that maybe I could put something down under the deck as well to prevent water puddling as well. As for the loose rock and pavers around the deck, I thought I'd put those down right on top of the asphalt to cover it up. Is this just an all around bad idea? Thanks.

Topher

Old 04-30-12, 12:57 PM
T
I should mention that I only want this deck to be only 6"-8" off the ground.. As for the pavers... I'm curious if I can just pour sand down, tamper it to level out the ground and place the pavers right on top.

Topherle

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: