Deck Protector Wrap

Old 05-04-12, 02:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Protector Wrap

Sorry for many questions,

I am just trying to learn something new so here is another question.

Do you think that it's waste money to use these on ledger board and joist where joist hangers attached? I read somewhere that the hangers can be corroded over time. I am not sure that's true or not even it's galvanized.

Amazon.com: Grace 4"X75' Deck Protector 45639 Felt Asphalt Rolls: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Protecto Deck Wrap Flashing / Anti-Corrosion Tape 10" x 25': Home Improvement

If this helps some, I would like to apply to my deck.

Also, most of these deck wrap seems to be 40 mil thickness. But, there are windows & door wraps that is 25 mil thickness and it's cheaper. I know that they are for windows & door seal, but I am not sure that they can be used on deck also because deck usually exposed direct sun light.

I will appreciate any opinion.

Old 05-04-12, 04:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Think about it. You wrap your joists and ledger in this wrap stuff, then drive screws or nails right through the top of it.........water entry point with nowhere to go. The most I have ever done (and only once) is use 30 lb roofer's felt in strips right on top of the joists. Customer had the warm and fuzzy feeling that it would shed water better . True, except for the kazillion holes I punched in it with nails. Joist hangers most likely won't corrode to any appreciable degree in the lifespan of the deck. You do have to use the proper ACQ approved hangers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: