Front Porch Decking/Post Question

Old 05-06-12, 09:23 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Front Porch Decking/Post Question

I'm looking to replace my front porch decking with Ipe or some similar hardwood. The house is only 10yrs old and porch structure looks good - ledger, joists, footings, etc. so only looking to replace decking. Porch is 6'x40' with small roof overhead supported by (6) 4x4 posts that sit on top of decking. 2x support and more 4x4's beneath. Questions: A. Decking should go around not beneath posts, correct? B. Even so, can I simply replace the 5/4 decking by cutting around the posts and notching new deck boards to fit properly? OR am I looking at jacking up the roof/posts to replace all deck boards in entirety? (not fun)
Thanks much in advance for any thoughts.

Old 05-06-12, 10:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Check your IPE supply. It may be the IPE is only 3/4", but hopefully 5/4". If it is thinner, you will have a problem just cutting around the posts and leaving part of your present decking in place. Technically roof support should be with vertical lumber from attachment point to footing. That is not to say what you have isn't done. Laying the boards down, as in decking, changes the structure of the wood and it can compress the 5/4 decking.
Would it be possible for you to post a few pix (not closeups) of your present deck so we can see what you see. We may can offer better solutions once we look at it. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 05-06-12, 10:41 AM
W
Thanks for quick Reply. A couple of the websites I'm looking at for Ipe or Tigerwood are listing actual dimensions of 1" for their 5/4 product; 3/4" for their 1x6. Current/old decking is 5/4. Ive attacehd a couple pics, hopefully you can get some idea of what I've got...

Attached Images   
Old 05-06-12, 04:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
If you are planning on using the 5/4 IPE or Tigerwood, you should be OK with surgical removal of the decking boards you have, now. Once you reinstall the IPE, you can always make a base collar of the scrap IPE to go around the columns to dress up the bottom. You will, however need to install nailer blocks where you remove the decking adjacent to the columns, as there is probably nothing to nail the ends of the decking to once you remove the old wood.

Old 05-06-12, 05:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Just worked with some Ipe decking myself, it was 3/4 thick 1x6 laid diagonally and everything Larry said is spot on. Install blocking around all your posts, and make some Ipe trim out of your scrap to trim the post bases after you've got the decking laid, to cover any gaps. Use Anchorseal wax end sealer for all your end cuts, dabbing it on those cut ends to seal the wood and help prevent end splitting. We used the Kreg deck jig to make a clean looking install, and Ipe plugs to cover any countersunk face screws, which were kept to a minimum.

Old 05-07-12, 09:41 AM
W
Thanks for the help guys. I'm laying out my plans now, should pull the trigger in a few days. Looking at Ipe Decking - Exotic Lumber - Hardwood Flooring - Ipe Wood - Exotic Hardwood Flooring and their Ipe Clip System.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: