Fridge on Deck

Old 05-08-12, 08:07 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fridge on Deck

I wanted to put a compact fridge on my deck. Anyone with experience have any cons with doing this, like high electric bills or not good for fridge. Would it be better to put it in a plastic storage bin, like Rubbermaid or Suncast ?? Thanks.

Old 05-09-12, 03:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums! The problem with the fridge on the deck would be weather extremes. Hot weather, it will work the compressor to death. Cold weather, every thing will freeze (remember, it cools, and does not heat). Warpage of plastic parts, inside and out will be a problem as well. Is the deck covered?

Old 05-09-12, 01:43 PM
C
The deck won't be covered. Also, I doubt I would use it during the Winter. I already have one. Not getting any use out of it. Thought I would try it on the deck. But not at the expense of ruining it. Would rather someone get some use out of it.

Old 05-09-12, 01:46 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
Fridges in the garage are common around here and that can be well over a 100 swing summer to winter but I wouldn't want one out exposed to wind, rain, sun and so on.

Old 05-09-12, 01:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,572 Votes on 1,413 Posts
You should give the fridge some protection from the weather since most are intended for indoor operation only. Don't forget how much water can get blown or splashed about during a good thunderstorm. Also, your enclosure must allow ample, unrestricted air circulation for the compressor. Simply placing a fridge inside a plastic box will kill it as the temperature inside the box quickly rises.

Old 05-09-12, 02:17 PM
C
That's why I was thinking of setting it inside a deck box. Yeah Dane. I took that in account. Maybe even a cutout in the rear to release heat, with the back protected by the house.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: