Porch ceiling options

Old 05-09-12, 10:22 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Porch ceiling options

I am deciding what type of porch ceiling to go with, prob bead board. The porch has livable sq footage above it. So the plan is to add insulation/sound proof barrier between the rafters. In this case I think I should cover the exposed rafters w some type of plywood or ex-osb like a subfloor to hold up the insulation and help w sound proofing the porch. Then I could attach any type of bead board or plank board to the mock subfloor. Is this overkill or does anyone have any better options?

Thx!

Old 05-10-12, 03:14 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums. One of your posts will be merged or deleted, so get ready. No need to double post the same information. We read them all.
What you propose is maybe overkill. The plywood underlayment may not be necessary. Not sure why you would need it. Install the insulation vapor barrier up and use insulation "stays" the width of your rafters to hold it in place until you apply the bead board. You are installing planks rather than sheets, right? It's not a bad overkill,but just a cost factor thingy. How far apart are your rafters?

Old 05-10-12, 04:36 AM
C
Thanks,I didn't know how to delete the the thread inside the concrete/ floor section.

The rafters are 24oc, I am still pricing out the planks, so many to choose from but yes prob planks. But if I did use sheets I def would trim the seems w 1x2 , would you recommend something else different with the sheets?

Thanks again,

Chris

Old 05-10-12, 04:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
I used the plywood beadboard on my front porch ceiling but the porch is less than 8' deep. Because I installed the plywood parallel to the ceiling joists, I added nailers between the joists. Also since the plywood is only 3/8" thick I needed the 2xs closer together than 2'

Personally I don't much care for the 8' joints being trimmed out to hide the gap [don't like the gap/joint either] What size is your ceiling? The individual sticks of beadboard look a lot nicer although it is pricier

Old 05-10-12, 02:50 PM
C
Thanks, my porch is around 30' x 12' then I also have a front porch 12x25'and car port 12'x30. the back porch is covered by livable sq ft so it needs to me insulated and of course I would like to have them all match. My rafters are 24 oc, so I was wondering if the planks or sheets would hold up the insulation w out extra plywood. Anybody know the best way to sound proof a floor? Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: