storage question

Old 05-22-12, 05:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
storage question

I have tons of stuff in my garage, and in the attic over it. I want to go ahead and start cleaning stuff out. Lots of items are too good to throw away.

What I think I'll do is pull them out, organize, and store.

I'll have to store outside. Put a shed in the back yard. That way, my son can get to these items at his own schedule.

Is wood or metal the best shed? I can do either. I'll have a concrete slab, and put stuff on pallets for ventilation and to keep moisture off it.

I'm thinking maybe a metal shed today will keep wind and rain out OK.

Would appreciate your thoughts on whether metal or wood would be best.

Or plastic---hadn't thought of that, until now. Which is best?

Old 05-22-12, 06:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 598 Posts
How big of a shed do you think you need? The metal shed kits are probably the cheapest way to go but I've never been thrilled about their doors. Wood is easier to work with if you plan to build from scratch. Wood can rot but metal sheds tend to be a lot hotter.

Old 05-22-12, 06:08 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
Depending on size there's a lot of pre-made plastic stuff out there as well.

Old 05-22-12, 01:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Moving the stuff to a shed is an idea, not a great one, but it's your call. If you don't use the stuff and it is too good to throw away, why not donate it and take it off your taxes. Being in construction, I accumulate "stuff" in a barn and once every two years or so, I have a 20 yard dumpster brought in, and "clean house". Good stuff goes to charity, goofy stuff sees the inside of the dumpster walls. Nothing goes back in the barn.
If you gotta save it, I like wood. Metal is too hot, and plastic deforms with heat and cold too much.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: