Installing interlock over septic pipe

Old 05-29-12, 09:15 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing interlock over septic pipe

Hello everyone. While digging the area out for my new patio installation, I came across my septic pipe. I knew it was there before hand, as I measured it down from the top of the foundation. The excavation uncovered just the top of it, should I be worried about the amount of weight on it once I back fill with gravel and pavers? Also, a friend recommended putting a piece of SM over it to protect it from freezing, but I'm not sure if this would cause more or less pressure on the pipe?

Name:  2012-05-28 19.56.22.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  43.8 KB

Old 06-02-12, 07:15 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How far down did you dig before you saw the top of the pipe? It looks like you need about 6 inches of soil before you even lay gravel & sand. Also, is that pipe clay or cast iron or something else? You might want to change it to PVC.

Old 06-02-12, 09:35 PM
E
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Assuming you are in an area with a 48" frost line or something close to it, the safest thing is probably to keep water away as much as possible though good grading to keep that pressure off your pipe, or coming up under your pipe if water penetrates and freezes. How many inches will you spread over the pipe? Pavers at least will move with ice also if there is a freezing issue, and assuming you have a good compacted surface over the pipe of some depth I am guessing you should be ok. If something does go bad later at least it will only be covered with pavers and not concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: