Deck Steps Questions

Old 06-05-12, 06:54 AM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck Steps Questions

Hello,

I live in ND and have a deck that I have built that sits around 3 feet off the ground. My plan was to buy some stringers. I would attach them to the deck but what is the best way to do this on the ground? Do you attach them to anything?

My thought was to pour a few footings 4 feet into the ground and rest and attach a 2x8 to the footing and then attach the stringer to it. Is this the proper method? Is it overkill to pour that deep of footings for this?

Thanks

Old 06-05-12, 12:07 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It's not overkill. In fact, it's the code in some places. The stringers can rest on top of the footings. Slope the footings so the water doesn't collect.

Old 06-05-12, 12:18 PM
O
Thanks for the reply.

Do I need a footing per stringer? our stairs we going to wrap around a corner so they would extend along the deck 4 feet along each side. I was thinking 3 footings. One at each corner.

Is what I am thinking correct that I could rest an 8 foot, lets say, 2x8 on the footing and then secure the string to it?

Old 06-05-12, 05:25 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Yes, one footing per stringer. There are Zmax brackets that you let dry in the cement & the stringer gets screwed to them. You don't need a 2x8 in addition. Footings should also be installed under posts where the stairs turn, if there are any.

Old 06-05-12, 09:19 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Keep in mind that the foregoing stairway footing advice only applies if the rest of the deck is supported by footings located below the frost line. Conversely, if the deck is a "floater," there is no need to put in 4-ft.-deep footings for the stairway run. Doing so could result in some nasty distortion, as members try to move or remain stationary, differentially.

Old 06-06-12, 03:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
If these are corner stairs, and your stringers are 16" OC, wouldn't that mean you would need 7 piers- if you are wanting one for each stringer? 0/16/32/48/32/16/0. If the deck is floating, it would be easier to let them all land on a sidewalk.

Old 06-06-12, 05:42 AM
O
Thanks for all the replies.

The deck is attached to the house and the joists are 12" oc.

One footing per stringer which are 16" oc. man that is a lot more post hole digging. Good for me right?

Since the steps will wrap around the corner. Can one give me some detail on how the stringers and footings are laid out at that corner?

Old 06-06-12, 07:45 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Codes have changed so if the deck is what Bridgman calls a "floater", it's really not up to code. I have had jobs where I had to install footings to bring the deck up to code when the owner wanted to sell. There was really nothing wrong with the structure except that it didn't meet the code & some inspector decided it had to be done because he almost went to jail for letting something else pass, on a prior job.

As far as your corner goes, is there a landing involved with posts supporting it? In NY where I was working, footings to the frost line would be required, on each post. I don't know what the national code is or your local code.

Old 06-06-12, 09:27 AM
O
I don't mind adding the footers at all and believe them to be code in our area so want to follow that too.

There is not a landing. What we are trying to achieve is, we built a small raised deck and will eventually have a patio at ground level that the steps will go down to. My thought was that the patio would butt up against the steps versus the steps stitting on the patio figuring i had to have the footers in place. Is that correct and does this seem like a good plan of attack?

Old 06-06-12, 02:07 PM
K
Pulpo, which Zmax bracket are you referring to for connecting the stair stringer to the concrete frost footing?

Old 06-06-12, 10:54 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I only have the Simpson pocket reference with me. I don't see it there. I stop at Home Depot & try to get a number. If you can't wait, call Simpson at 800 999 5099

Old 06-08-12, 09:58 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
TA Staircase Angles

That bracket will work on the bottom of the stringer. Of course, flip it over from what you see in the picture.

Old 06-08-12, 01:09 PM
O
simply flip it and then fix it to the footing and good to go? Interesting.

Old 06-08-12, 01:32 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Correct. Position it in the exact spot where the stringer will land before the cement sets. Just put some screws or nails through the holes & let them dry in the cement. Then screw the stringers to the brackets.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: