How to Make One Step Around Deck Perimeter?

Old 06-12-12, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to Make One Step Around Deck Perimeter?

I bought a how-to book on deck building but it doesn't show how to make this one important feature in my design. I have a basic 30 in. high, 16 x 14 ft. deck. I want to build one step (going down) all the way around the 3 sides that don't touch the house. Any resources or drawings on how to build this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-12, 12:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
Most building codes in the USA require a riser height of 5 to 7 3/4" while I think Canada allows you to go slightly higher. You need more than one step to get up to your 30" high deck. I would do five steps with a 6" rise.

Also check with your codes regarding railings for a deck of that height for both the perimeter and stair ends. They may require hand railings at each end of your stairs which would probably be at the house. Because of the deck's height they might normally require a perimeter railing but since you are doing stairs continuously around the perimeter I'm not sure how it will be interpreted, and I have no experience with Canadian requirements.

Old 06-12-12, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator
I'm thinking maybe the OP means to add on to his deck? A "wraparound" type deck, just one step down from the existing?

No way one step will get you 30" to the ground...you'd need a ladder...lol.

If you really mean 3 sets of steps allowing access to the ground from any part of the existing deck...then PD is right...you'll need to check your handrail requirements.

Other than that...it's really not much more than 3 long sets of steps with angles on the ends where they meet and appropriate bracing.

Old 06-12-12, 10:58 PM
Cut and install 2 x 12 stair stringers every 3' or so, all the way around. Use joist hangers at the deck ends, and footings of some sort at the bottoms.

Your "desired" situation creates a bit of a problem, in that the IRC requires a handrail all the way around any deck that is 30" above the ground. Doing that will make it very difficult to use the steps you are going to build.

Old 06-13-12, 04:02 AM
I'm so sorry. I mean't 12" high. (one foot)

Old 06-13-12, 04:55 AM
Group Moderator
The decking material for your steps must be supported at the proper spacing even on steps. If you are using a material that requires support every 16" you must use stair stringers every 16". The 36" spacing BrigeMan45 mentioned will not work with most decking materials.

Old 06-13-12, 03:14 PM
My bad! I presumed he would use standard stair tread stock (double 2 x 6s, with a gap between them), not plain deck planking.

Old 06-13-12, 03:47 PM
Group Moderator
The real key is the decking material. Many composites require a 12" stringer spacing. I think the recommendation/requirement for wood decking that's 1" or 5/4 is 16" stringer or joist spacing if the decking is laid perpendicular to the joists. The allowable span drops to 12" if they are run at a angle (45 degrees). If using 2x lumber the spacing can be up to 24" if the boards are perpendicular.

Old 06-14-12, 04:29 AM
OK. Thanks everyone. I've figured it out.

Old 06-12-13, 11:33 AM
I know this is an old thread, but various searches took me to it.

I'm doing something similar and could use some advice.

I've attached an 11' x 12' deck to my home that is ~ 16" off the ground. And planning to have a wrap around step around 3 sides of the deck. Should be 1 step, and then down to the existing grass/yard.

The deck has 4x4 posts sunk 4' deep.

I was thinking of also sinking 4x4 posts for the steps as well. Attach 2x8 to the outside edge of the posts, and running similar joists every 16" between the deck rim joist and the outer 2x8. Then placing the deck step boards?

Would that be the best approach or something different?

Old 06-12-13, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 47 Votes on 44 Posts
One step might not work, I don't think you can have an 8" rise.

Hang tight, someone will know this with certainty off the top of their head in short order I'm sure.

Old 06-12-13, 06:06 PM
I built a low deck on my last house and cantilevered the joists for the full-width step under the main joists. This gave the appearance of a floating deck and made weed trimming easy.

Old 06-13-13, 02:03 PM
I think I should be ok.

The outer deck rim joist is a PT 2x8, and I plan to attach the step, right at the bottom of that board. So my rise should end up being ~7 1/4 I think. I'm about 16" total height to top of deck from the lowest ground point around the deck. And I can bring that ground up an 1" if needed with some top soil, etc to ensure the grass to step is within 8" as well if still needed.

I'm just trying to decide on best way to attach the bottom step riser. Attach it sunk 4x4 posts, or can it float on a concrete block, etc.

I'm leaning toward sinking 4x4 post similar to the deck. But since only 7" will be above ground, seems almost overkill to dig those holes.