Drainage at ledger-decking interface

Old 06-15-12, 05:24 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drainage at ledger-decking interface

The installer of my deck put the ledger right on top of the siding. I put caulking at the joint to keep water from getting behind the ledger.

Now, as I install the last decking board, I'm wondering if water is going to pool in that trough (trapped in a U-shape by the siding on one side, the ledger on the bottom, and the decking board on the other side.

Should I do something special to allow water out of this area? Cut shallow notches in the bottom of the decking board, or put it on shims, perhaps?

Thanks.

Old 06-15-12, 08:23 AM
Proper flashing wiil minimize the problem if you are stuck with a ledger supported deck.

Dick

Old 06-15-12, 11:02 AM
T
Since the ledger is overtop of the siding I don't have the option of proper flashing because I don't want to tear down the whole deck.

Even with a flashed ledger, there is still a U-shaped channel in this area. How does one keep water from pooling here, or is it simply not a problem for this to occur?

Old 06-15-12, 11:09 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
Someone built this for you - my first thought is to have them come back and make the job right.

Old 06-15-12, 01:44 PM
S
Oh, it's a problem. My rim joist is showing a little rot, due to this (deck was built before I owned it).
I agree...the builder should fix this problem and flash properly.

Old 06-15-12, 02:01 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,166 Votes on 1,124 Posts
Oh, I misunderstood, I thought this was recently built.

Old 06-18-12, 05:12 AM
T
Having the builder come back is not an option. This was built in the 90s, several owners before me. I don't even know who the builder was.

I'm not asking about best practices. I'm asking what I should do in the situation I'm in now!

And to be clear, the concern is not as much about water getting behind the ledger (this is caulked) but rather water sitting in the shallow trough formed by the last decking board against the siding and ledger.

Old 06-18-12, 10:55 AM
Received 46 Votes on 40 Posts
Would it be possible to install quarter round moulding to cover this trough? Then a good poly over the trim would make it last quite a while. And if it does need replaced later it is easy to get to change.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: