Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Decks, Patios, Porches, Walkways, Driveways, Stairs, Steps and Docks
Reload this Page >

Digging Options: Hand, Mini-Skid Steer (Loader), Bobcat Skid Steer, or Excavator

Digging Options: Hand, Mini-Skid Steer (Loader), Bobcat Skid Steer, or Excavator

Old 06-19-12, 09:46 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I need to remove a 120 sft concrete slab which I will jackhammer into pieces with an electric 60-lb jackhammer, then excavate about 6 inches of soil over a 500 sft area to expand the backyard patio space. I need to move all that to the front of the house. Then I will need to move 4.5 yards or gravel and 2 yards or sand from the front yard to the back yard. My question is which of the four options is best digging and moving options? Hand & Wheelbarrow, Mini-Skid Steer (Loader like a Toro Dingo), Bobcat Skid Steer (like a 435 or 755), or Excavator?

I've gotten feedback from Home Depot that if I want to dig, a mini-skid steer / loader won't cut it because it won't "dig" for me. I've never rented one (like a Toro Dingo 413 or Boxer 320) so I don't know if they can or cannot "dig" because some of the literature says that they do.

If not, will something like a regular skid steer do the job like a Bobcat 435 or Bobcat 755 do all the things I need to get done?

I may get a dump bed or something, but I have to cart the soil to the front of the house and cart the gravel and sand to the back of the house. Of course, I want to do it in the best bang for the buck without breaking my back.

Thanks from anyone who's used some of this equipment!

Last edited by crosstraining; 06-19-12 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 03:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I rented a John Deere bobcat type with rubber track this past weekend, repaired, resurfaced about 1/2 mile of driveway, cut down the area behind my unused under house garage to where I could get proper drainage away from the house, and a ton of other work that I would normally have just walked away from. You shouldn't have to rent a dump if you are just transporting it from front to back. One scoop at a time.
I know it is a local thing, but the guy at the rental place let me have it Friday after 3pm until Monday, delivered and picked up by them, plus $50 in diesel for $325 including tax. I jumped on that.

Old 06-20-12, 03:28 AM
C
Thanks! What's the model of the John Deere you rented? I'd like to compare what I'm looking at. I'm thinking some loaders are merely loaders while others dig. Of course, I won't have some of the fancier digging attachments - just the bucket and maybe forks. Does the horsepower have anything to do with the ability to dig?

Old 06-20-12, 04:26 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
Digging

The ability to dig with a skid steer has to do with traction. The rubber track Chandler refers to gives the skid steer traction to "push" the bucket through the dirt to do the "digging". Good luck with your project.

Old 06-20-12, 01:34 PM
Oh, I had to be careful not to point the bucket too sharply to the ground, as it would dig deep. Now, I am not sure what attachments you would need, but they come with hole diggers, concrete breakers, and an assortment of things. But I doubt you would get your money's worth if you can get the bobcat in there.
Ahh, invoice was in the mail. It was a 322 Loader if that means anything to you. Diesel. Flat bucket (without teeth).

Old 06-20-12, 05:32 PM
C
Thanks! I guess the smaller ones (36" wide) mini loaders are not really diggers.

Old 06-20-12, 06:54 PM
The ones like the Terramite are good for small jobs, but they don't have the body weight to allow for very much digging. They will bog down to easily. This one had a bucket about 4' or larger wide and it would hold quite a bit per scoop.

Old 06-20-12, 06:58 PM
C
Bobcat 463 --> S70

I discovered that the Bobcat 463 has turned into the S70. It's supposed to be able to dig with a toothy bucket and still has a width of 36 inches. We'll see how that works out next week.....! Thanks

Old 06-20-12, 07:03 PM
I think you will be fine. Does it have double hand control or joy stick. Love the joystick. Like flying a fighter jet. Hey, you can pretend.

Old 06-20-12, 07:18 PM
C
Double hand control on the older model....couldn't find someone with the newer model renting in the Seattle area!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: