Climbing Wall / waterproofing plywood

Old 06-19-14, 01:20 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Climbing Wall / waterproofing plywood

So I'm in the process of building a small climbing wall in my backyard for my son. We live in Wellington, New Zealand, and get a ton of rain throughout the year, so I wanted to build something that could handle that. I bought some exterior grade plywood, and it was suggested to use epoxy to seal it, to make it completely waterproof. After preparing to do that, and reading a lot, I think I'd rather not have something quite so toxic that I'll be drilling into with my kid around (who's going to help me mount the holds on the wall), so I guess I'm wondering if a good oil based decking stain or something like that might not be sufficient -- Ideally I'm looking for something low maintenance, that'll keep it from warping too much (I will be mounting it to a 2x4 frame), and ideally again, something that allows you to see the wood (rather than having a big colored wall).

Any thoughts appreciated,
Cheers,
Kem

Old 06-19-14, 01:54 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Primer and paint would be better than stain. The edges/ends of the plywood are the most susceptible to damage from water so they need to be sealed good with any voids filled.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: