Ground level deck

Old 06-24-12, 05:59 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Beams underground for a ground level deck.

Hi, I am thinking about building a deck at ground level. The reason that I want a low deck is because I have windows that I do not want to cover up. The problem is that the beams will be somewhat underground (perhaps a few inches of the beam will be under ground).

I am considering using pressure treated wood 2x6 beams, supported by concrete pads. I would have to dig a bit deeper for the concrete, but this would result in some of the beams being under ground.

I am also considering using pressure treated 4x4's and laying them directly on the ground. Not using concrete to support the 4x4s but having them touch the ground.

What do you think? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Ventilation, water drainage etc?

I plan on the deck being 16 x 16 feet, and am also considering a awning or similar roof for the deck.

Attached is a picture of ground and window level with a 6 inch board for referenc

Attached Images  

Last edited by hanez; 06-24-12 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 11:52 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
hanez,

Welcome to the forums.

I'm a deck contractor, and I'm gonna be the first one to tell you to forget the idea of putting a deck in this space -- pour a concrete patio instead!! You'll be much happier down the road.

FACT -- A basic deck that can be built at least 24" above grade, DONE BY A CONTRACTOR is going to cost at least $20/sq.ft. A basic concrete slab the same size is maybe $6 to $7/sq.ft. Take the contractor out of the picture, and DIY (material only), and a deck will cost you at least $10 to $12/sq.ft. -- and that's a deck that's 24" above grade.

FACT -- An AT GRADE deck is a lot more expensive than a basic deck that is 24" above grade.

FACT -- If I were contracted to build the deck that you are proposing, you would be paying me something in the range of $35 to $40/sq.ft. for the deck, at the VERY least. Closer to $70 or $80/sq.ft. by the time all was said and done wouldn't suprise me, depending on how much drainage I had to install to make it work. (And the Bobcat would probably be all over your back yard, dealing with the drainage issues!!)

FACT -- for $20 to $25/sq.ft., you can get VERY creative with a good concrete contractor, and you're gonna be much happeir with the finished project.

Old 06-25-12, 03:11 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I second Mike's opinion on this. If this is an egress window, you can't put a deck over it, and who would want to cut the light from the window anyway. You can get really creative with patio pours. Having it stamped and stained is an excellent way of taking the "concrete" look away. It will be there for a much longer time that the PT lumber would and will be solid. Here's an example:

Attachment 1366

Old 06-25-12, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
Me three
It's never a good idea to place wood [even PT] where it will have contact with soil, especially when there are better options.

Old 06-25-12, 08:02 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,165 Votes on 1,123 Posts
Me four?

Concrete or paver patio.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: