sandbased patio

Old 06-27-12, 01:11 PM
E
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
sandbased patio

I am building a sand based patio that will measure about 25 ft. by about 9 ft. I have finished with the foundation, put in several level inches of fill dirt, put in several level inches of gravel, and now am putting in about 2 inches of level and screed sand. On top of the sand I will start laying the bricks. My question is what will prevent me and the bricks from sinking into the sand base? If there something I am missing that I should do first?

Rich

Old 06-27-12, 01:17 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
First, pavers go on a 1" layer of bedding sand which is sitting on a compacted base.

Second, the pavers are then compacted into the sand after you install them, which locks them into place. After this, they're not going anywhere.

Old 06-27-12, 01:25 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 829 Posts
Compaction.

Did you compact your fill dirt and stone layers? Each base layer must be properly compacted. Once they are compacted they should not settle in the future. Then your sand layer is put down and not compacted. This layer is usually relatively thin (usually an inch) so it's compaction is reasonable and predictable. Once all the pavers are in you compact the patio which sinks all the pavers by about the same amount. The sand layer allows for minor variations in the paver thickness.

Here is a link to the .pdf installation instructions for a paver I often use.

Old 06-27-12, 03:23 PM
E
Yes, I compacted the fill dirt and the gravel base. I then put in a 2 inch bed of sand after reading an instruction page online. I have screed the sand base and will now put in the pavers. I used pressure treated 6 x 6's for the perimeter and I want the top of the pavers to be the same as the top of the 6 x 6's. My concern is the pavers will be too low after I walk on them as I add more pavers. Am I to add sand or wet the sand or just not be concerned about it? Thanks for your reply.

Rich

Old 06-27-12, 03:48 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 829 Posts
That's where the added thickness of your sand layer makes it difficult. As the sand gets thicker it's harder to predict the amount of compaction. I would prepare a small area, place the pavers and compact and see where they end up. Once you know how it will compact down you can adjust the thickness of your sand layer accordingly.

Old 06-28-12, 02:45 AM
E
Thank you for your suggestion. I will try that and experiment with it.

Rich

Old 06-28-12, 07:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
If you're too low, I would add more compacted base, not more sand.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: