How much would this cost me? Pictures enclosed

Old 06-30-12, 11:16 PM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How much would this cost me? Pictures enclosed

As a follow up to a thread I started earlier, I have another question. We have a simple deck and my wife now wants a gazebo. Our home owner's association requires that all gazebos look the same, but we do not have plans for the gazebo because the builder went bankrupt. So the builder would have to go over to the neighbors' gazebos and take measurements and such to make it match.

The gazebos can only have screens. There is no plumbing running out to the gazebo. I'd permit and run the electrical circuit myself, if we even put one in. The roof of the gazebo meets the roof line of the existing roof on the townhouse.

So looking at the pictures below, give me an estimated guess please. How much do you think it would cost me to convert from the deck I have now to the gazebo pictured below, with the builder "matching" the existing gazebos with his own measurements? I haven't a CLUE as to how much it would cost, which is why I am asking? 10K? 50K? No idea. Hopefully some of you pros can give me a guess. I live in the NW Chicago suburbs. I realize it is impossible to pin down a price without someone coming out to do estimates, but if this is going to be a project that we can't afford, I don't want to waste a contractor's time to come out and bid- hence the request for some guesses.

Currently, I have a deck that looks like this:

Deck picture 1
Deck picture 2

But we want it to look like this:

Gazebo picture 1
Gazebo picture 2
Gazebo picture 3

Thanks!

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/6859/deck2u.jpg
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/3994/deck1i.jpg
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6326/gazebo3.jpg
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/3518/gazebo2.jpg
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/3767/gazebo1.jpg

Old 07-01-12, 05:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
What you have pictured is a screened in porch. These are what my mind conjured up as a "gazebo". Gazebo | Gallery | Gazebo Depot
As I read your post I kept wondering how you could tie in a gazebo roof to your roof line.
Quite a bit will rest on the footings and foundation of the existing deck. In some cases it all has to come down and be rebuilt from the get go, due to poor footings or too small support members. I would check with the permit department to see what they will require as far as basic support. Obviously the neighbors have theirs apparently built on their existing deck, so possibly it could be done with only adding from the deck up.
Cost.....anyone's guess. I would get at least 3 contractors to bid on it.

Old 07-01-12, 10:48 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
Yep, it's nearly impossible for us to comment on cost remotely like this, get at least three bids from local contractors so you can compare.

Old 07-01-12, 10:54 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Among other things, I'd be concerned about the type of loading being applied to the original front deck beam by the 4 new front columns supporting the roof. In your climate, snow loading applied to the beam as point loads, added to the additional structure dead loads, could be considerably greater than the previous, uniform deck loads. The new, separate free-standing (full-height) columns in the rear should not cause any stress increases in the existing ledger board or its attachment. While we're on the subject of ledger boards, I have a few concerns about yours. The exposed end of it in Picture 1 appears to be dark and pulpy, often an indication of rotting caused by improper (or missing) flashing. Have you checked its condition lately? Also, your townhouse appears to have a bump-out, which ledger boards are never supposed to be attached to. Is yours attached to the cantilevered bump-out?

It wouldn't surprise me if your total project cost comes to $25,000 or so, fairly evenly split between materials and labor. As others have said, get some local quotes.

Old 07-01-12, 02:14 PM
U
I don't think the bump out is cantilevered. The foundation follows the shape of the bump out. That's what you mean, right?

I don't think there is any rotting wood. I just painted the deck last year and there wasn't any. I went away and poked around with my leatherman tool in the area *I think* you're talking about and it seems solid. There are some splits in the wood, though. I would guess that if we put this new deck in, all of this would be torn down anyway.

Old 07-01-12, 09:46 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
My bad for not catching the bump-out supported all the way to the ground. Darn me, for not being more astute!

And since my earlier, ball-park estimate didn't include your (just now saying) the entire deck will be scrapped and rebuilt, I'd like to add at least $10,000 to my original number, bringing the total to $35,000.

Old 07-02-12, 09:14 AM
U
Cool, thanks for giving me a rough estimate and pointing out those potential problems.

Old 07-02-12, 03:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
Why don't you ask the neighbors how much it cost to build theirs?

Old 07-02-12, 03:06 PM
U
The townhouse development is about 11-12 years old. Everyone in the development built their screened decks/gazebos on when the townhouse was being built new. No one has done the conversion later, like we want to do. Unfortunately, we couldn't afford the option at the time so we passed.

Old 07-02-12, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 252 Votes on 220 Posts
I should have added that it will also depend on how you finish the inside. I you leave it "rough" (open trusses, exposed framing) I think it will be much less than Bridgeman's guess.

Old 07-02-12, 06:17 PM
U
I think my neighbors have it all rough on the inside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: