sandbased patio

Old 07-10-12, 03:41 PM
E
Received 7 Upvotes on 7 Posts
sandbased patio

I posted a couple weeks ago about making a sandbased patio and the suggestions were wonderful. I am getting more and more pavers into place and it's starting to look like a patio now. But I have a question. When the pavers are all in place I will add new sand and broom it into the spaces between the pavers. Would it be advantageous for me if I sprinkled some cement in with the sand to perhaps help lock them in place? Thanks in advance for any help.

Rich

Old 07-10-12, 04:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Rich, I think not. You want any water that accumulates on top of the pavers to have a way to soak in. Making the joints impervious to water will negate that action. Use sand and sweep it in. On the edges, until the grass takes over, you may want to install rigid steel border or something to hold it all in. If the pavers are below or on grade, then you won't have that problem.

Old 07-10-12, 04:04 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I like polymeric sand or the joints instead of regular sand. Once all the pavers are placed & compacted brush in the polymeric and go over it again with the plate compactor which will settle the sand. Brush in more polymeric and keep repeating until the cracks are full and don't settle under the vibration of the compactor. Then follow the directions on the package and gently spray water over the patio to soak into the joints & polymeric to activate the binder. Once it dries you have sand that gets hard without the ugly white color of cement.

Old 07-10-12, 06:34 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Nope, no cement - not under, in the middle of or on top of the pavers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: