Pergola over Existing Pool Deck

Old 07-08-12, 09:25 AM
O
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pergola over Existing Pool Deck

Thanks for taking the time to read.

I'd like to build a Pergola over an existing cantilever pool deck. The deck area measures 10x10 foot. I'd like the pergola to extend over the pool about 5 feet, making the top around 10x15. Dual 2x6 main beams, 2x6" rafters...

The part that has me concerned, is mounting to the deck surface. My original thought was, put those one inch metal separates, mount it down with one of those mason, expansion bolts into the concrete deck, erect the 6" posts and have at it.

City code states that it "lightweight patio covers may be supported with 3 ft. deep spot piers." The deck obviously isn't 3 feet deep... if I mount the post at the edge, it'll be sitting on the pool wall... but I'd hate for my deck to crack under the pressure.

The back posts (away from the pool), I could dig piers beyond the deck surface.

Thoughts?

Old 07-08-12, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you need to install deep footings (piers) for all of the pergola's support posts. If you need to move the close ones too far back from the pool, you will have to come up with a special design to support the extreme cantilever that will create. And just for your information, installing a 5' cantilever from a 10' span for the roof as you mentioned is frowned upon--a good rule of thumb for cantilevers is L/4 maximum, which in your case would be 10'/4 = 2.5' (just half of what you plan to do).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: