Joist to Beam Connection at 45 Degrees

Old 07-18-12, 11:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joist to Beam Connection at 45 Degrees

Hi,

I'm new to the Deck building world and I'm planning on building my first deck.
I have a pretty decent mechanical background and have 3d CAD tools to my disposal.

I'm doing all my research to ensure my best success on completing this project.

Unfortunately for me, my first deck for my home is not a simple one with a few 45 degree sections.

The one section has joists overlapping a beam at 45 degrees. This is only for a small section where the angle of the deck would cause the joists to do this.

I don't foresee a problem doing this, but I'm not exactly sure how to properly tie the joists to the beam. I cannot find the appropriate simpson connector for this. I've attached an image to detail this.

Any comments/info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-12, 11:51 AM
If it were me I would probably hang the joists off the beam instead of resting them on top. Simpson makes skewed joist hangers.

If you are locked into resting the joists on top I would probably toe nail it the old fashioned way. There are also gusseted 90* connectors that you could place on both sides of the angled joists. I would also tie the 45* joists to the perpendicular ones.

Old 07-18-12, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the reply.

As per your suggestion to tie the 45 to the perpendicular joist...what you are saying is to extend the 45 degree joist so it meets the perpendicular one and tie them together? toenailing or with joist hangers? Are joist hangers acceptable when tieing one joist to another?