Using recycled asphalt as paver base

Old 08-13-12, 06:26 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Using recycled asphalt as paver base

Hi,
We're diying a pavered patio (300 square feet) and are wondering about using recycled asphalt as the base. Has anyone done this? We"re going to rent a plate compactor, so the extra required tamping isn't a problem. It will be going top of of 1 inch traditional paver base (compacted)/geotextile stabilization fabric/ground. It's SERIOUSLY less expensive--8 dollars a ton and we need about 5.

So, has anyone done this? The company said it's a great alternative and they've used it many times, but, I can't find much online about it.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-12, 03:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Recycled asphalt as in liquid form, or as in shingle tabs, or exactly what form will it be delivered in?
I have used recycled shingle tabs for a driveway in the country once, and it was excellent. Cost was minimal as there was no way to recycle them back into the manufacturing process back then.
If you are placing pavers on this, I would also consider a movable substrate such as sand. Laying the pavers directly on a hardened surface may not give the results you want for smoothness of the tops of the pavers.

Old 08-17-12, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I think she's talking about asphalt millings, the granular product removed first when streets/roads are resurfaced to avoid raising the finished paved surface elevations. I personally think such would make a good base, provided the asphalt content wasn't excessive (making it too "oily" and smelly).

Last edited by BridgeMan45; 08-17-12 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-18-12, 02:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Oh, didn't know you could buy that stuff. Our state has machines that removes it, runs it back into a finer grinder, mixes it with more asphalt and lays it back out behind the machine as new asphalt surface. Sort of like feeding a puppy.

Old 08-18-12, 04:49 PM
Some companies to sell the grindings if they do not recycle the in new asphalt. They pick up the old remains of torn out fsiled driveway and haul it back to the plant and recycle it into asphalt for other state, county, commercial and private jobs.

The question is the gradation and if it can be compacted for use as a patio base under the sand setting bed.

Dick

Old 05-30-13, 04:04 PM
A
Hi Brittany,

Did you ever end up using the recycled asphalt millings? I've had the same question, but having trouble finding info on it online.

Thanks!

-Ahmad