Cutting stone for a curve

Old 08-20-12, 06:41 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cutting stone for a curve

Hello,

I have a large portion of my patio done but need to cut a few curves now. Anyone have tips or pointers on how this is done?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-12, 12:10 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Very carefully!

What type of stone and how thick? Using a brick hammer and lots of time you just chip the edge piece by piece until you get what you want. Some stone will allow you to use a cold chisel and with light-to-medium hammering chip out a line and then the stone will break on that line more-or-less cleanly.

Old 08-20-12, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the response. They are 4x8 inch stones 2 inches thick. I probably have a least 50 stones to cut to make the 3 curves so i have a lot to do.

As far as the type goes. I am guessing it is colored concrete. they look like a Belgian paver stone if that helps.

Old 08-20-12, 04:32 PM
Buy a few masonry blades for your Skilsaw, and make 1/8" score lines on the top and bottom of each stone. Then use a brickset and swift tap with a 3-lb. maul to snap the stone, doing so on the top (not bottom) surface. Do any final clean-up on the stones with a masonry wheel on an angle grinder--much faster then pecking away on them with the chisel-end of a brick hammer.

Old 08-20-12, 06:58 PM
Thanks. I wil give that a try. how about some tips on technique on determining the curve. I have a soldier row currently of one type of stone and then the remainder is of a different type.

I am a little uncertain if you cut length off the solider row?

Old 08-20-12, 10:10 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
Concrete is not stone. Bridgeman's suggestion of using an abrasive blade in a skilsaw is a good one. You can also use the abrasive blades in a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder or even go so far as to using a dry diamond disc in the grinder. Wear a faceshield, dust mask and hearing protection.

The alternative is to rent a tile saw with a diamond blade. Wet saws are faster and hold down the dust. Two inch thick pieces should be a cake walk. Remember, if these are concrete they are more likely to break along the lines of the larger aggregate (rocks) rather than straight as stone or bricks will.

Old 08-20-12, 11:20 PM
Unless your curves have extremely small radii, you should be able to make straight cuts on each section of stone. Curved cuts are rarely necessary, especially if you have a border row of stone outside of the cut members (or some kind of bender board to define the outside edge). Lay out each curve with paving pins and a string line, then lay the appropriate edge stone in its place in the field, and mark it where the string line rides over it.