Pergola Posts

Old 09-01-12, 01:57 PM
D
doc
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pergola Posts

Planning on building a pergola and will hang a hammock from opposing posts. I've looked at lots of pergola plans and have seen two ways of doing the posts: a) dig holes put in the posts and fill with concrete or b) dig holes fill with concrete put those metal post bases in the concrete.

Oh - and I'm planning on using 8 X8 posts.

Any thoughts on which is the better idea?

Old 09-01-12, 03:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Plan B. Wood in the ground will rot. Wood above the ground will last longer.

Old 09-01-12, 03:54 PM
D
doc
Should I use sono tubes? I'm in north central IN - can I assume 30" deep?

Old 09-01-12, 08:29 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Sonotubes are a great way to save on forming time/materials, and don't have to extend all the way down into the hole. I like using 1' long sections, suspended over the hole using 2 x 4 cross-braces, and extending 6" above the ground line. You should just call your local building department to get their footing depth requirements, instead of guessing or assuming.

Not sure I'd want to trust the steel post brackets to prevent the posts from rotating inwards towards each other when repeated lateral loads are placed on them by the hammock connections. Unless you make sure the roof structure can hold the posts plumb without wracking, regardless of how heavy the hammock loads are.

Old 09-02-12, 04:52 AM
I would not just put a post base that isn't meant for this purpose. I think this base would suffice and would help with horizontal as well as vertical pull out. PB/PBS Regular and Standoff Post Bases

Old 09-02-12, 05:40 AM
D
doc
Thanks bridgeman and chandler. This little project is getting more complex by the minute.....

Old 09-02-12, 11:17 AM
Better for it to get complicated early on than to find out you did it wrong and had to do it over. Twice the labor, twice the materials. We're here. You got back up.

Old 09-02-12, 11:58 AM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
chandler, the brackets you referenced look beefy enough, but don't appear to come in large-enough sizes. He's using 8 x 8 columns.

Time to break out the bandsaw and welder.

Old 09-02-12, 05:09 PM
You are right, Bridge, but IMO 6x6's would suffice. 8x8's would build an ark! Doc, trying to bring things into perspective, is there a good reason for 8x8's??

Old 09-03-12, 02:09 AM
D
doc
Plans for simple hammock posts called for 8X8s, so I just figured I'd need that same for this. I'd love to get by with 6X6s if possible.

Old 09-03-12, 07:22 AM
Plain hammock posts, embedded probably would need 8x8's. You are building a structure, right? Are you putting a roof system on it? If you use rafters and collar ties to the structure it will give additional support not afforded by plain posts. I think 6x6's would suffice.

Old 09-03-12, 08:22 AM
D
doc
yeah, as soon as I posted my reply that occurred to me. That's gonna save me a bit of money. The plans call for pretty typical stuff up top - double joists or beams (or whatever they're called) that will sandwich the posts, another set of
2Xs crossing them and smaller pieces on top of them. Thinking about getting some sun shade material that'll run on on cables. Again, ambitious plans for someone whose never built something like this but has SEEN lots built on TV

Old 09-03-12, 09:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
but has SEEN lots built on TV
I wouldn't put too much credence in the methods used on TV. Often they don't show the whole process or even do something absolutely wrong ....... but the pros here are always able and willing to give you the correct info and advise you thru the entire build

Old 09-03-12, 09:37 AM
D
doc
Marksr - I have relied on you folks for expert advice for years and years; I have yet to be steered wrong. When we finally get around to this project I'm sure I'll be checking in quite often. Thanks in advance!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: