Extracting screws from 1xs

Old 09-16-12, 09:08 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Extracting screws from 1xs

Hi,

A recent big storm took down a couple of trees, smashing into a fence I have. A couple of 4x4s were snapped so I'm in the process or replacing them. To do that I first need to remove the 1x6s from the rails - many of them can be used again. Then I remove the rails & replace the 4x4s.

Anyhow, when removing the 1x6s (2 screws per rail, 3 rails so 6 screws per), they easily come out of the 4x4 but often the remain in the 1x6s, they won't back out. I've clamped the 1x6s to the 4x4 & that helps some, but not in all cases. Is there an easy way to remove these without pounding them out?

Thanks,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-12, 09:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Are they spinning but just not backing out? They may not have threads on their entire length and need you to push on the sharp end to get the threads engaged in the wood so they can back the screw out.

Old 09-16-12, 09:35 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Slip a thin piece of steel between the 1 x 6 and post, such that there is now a bearing surface at the tips of the stubborn screws. Then just back out the screws while applying pressure on the 1 x 6, squeezing it towards the post with a bar-clamp or large C-clamp. If that doesn't work, you'll have to gently pry the screws out using the curved end of a large pry-bar (crow-bar).