Decking over concrete porch

Old 10-24-12, 07:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Decking over concrete porch

Good evening all,

My wife and I are doing some reno's to our front porch and I had a question about the porch covering. I was originally going to put slate tile down, but the slab seems to move a bit so I dont want to put something down that will end up breaking on me in the long run. A friend mentioned putting deck boards directly onto the concrete. I like the idea, and if possible, would proceed with Cedar. Is this something that should be attempted? Should I lay an underlay like tar paper, or a sealing paint. Also should I strap it and adhere the board to the strapping or tapcon the boards directly. Clearance is a bit of an issue.

Thanks in advance to any info anyone can provide.

Old 10-24-12, 11:30 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome to the forums.

The first reason for NOT attaching the deck boards directly to a concrete slab -- moisture will be trapped between the boards and the concrete; the boards will rot. A sealer or tar paper between the concrete and the boards will make the situation worse.

The second reason, in your case, is that the slab moves. That will twist or break the boards.

Seems to me that you have 2 choices (other than doing nothing).

One would be to remove the concrete, excavate the area down deep enough to build a wood deck, leaving sufficient clearance between the dirt and the framing so that moisture and rot aren't an issue.

The other would be to remove the current slab and repour it with a proper base so it doesn't move.

Old 10-25-12, 05:18 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I agree!! Putting wood directly [or within inches] over concrete is just trading one problem for an other. How high is your house floor above the exterior grade. If the house is on a concrete slab [low to the ground], a wood deck isn't a good idea.

Old 10-25-12, 08:13 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
One more post to reinforce not putting decking on top of concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: