Decking questions

Old 12-01-12, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Decking questions

Iam trying the put up a deck on my house that the footing will be on solid rock. Iam using 2x10. I have a lot of question but to start how far can I go from the ledger to the rim joist without a beam. The deck will be shaped something like a triangle. Starting from 20 feet to 3 and run 48 feet the length of the house.The rim joist is doubled and the end rim joist will be doubled also. The first 7 joists ( Approx 16 feet) I will have a double 2x10 beem span about 12 feet from the ledger. Does this seem ok so far Thanks

Attached Images      

Last edited by JoeNY; 12-01-12 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-12, 05:01 PM
Temporarily Suspended
These days, architects are moving away from the use of ledger boards & designing free standing decks. Apparently, you don't intend to file plans with the building department, which is where the codes are provided. Off the top of my head, I would want the first beam a lot closer than 12'. In NY, the posts are supposed to be on cement footings 3' deep. 4' for upstate.

Old 12-02-12, 05:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Did you excavate a ledger on the rock? Looks like it. Be aware of one thing. That rock is going to move. Maybe not today or next year, but when it moves so will your house. Definitely poured footers at midpoint or so on the longer joisting, and possibly a post and beam for half of it.

Old 12-02-12, 07:18 PM
Wink

My 3/4 of my house is pinned on that rock so when it moves hopefully it moves together . I know my posting is not detailed but I'll post my plans up tomorrow and get some input. Concrete footings are not an option because there is zero dirt just a solid rock. I read up and was under the impression that you could span 15 without a beam with 2x10. Not filing because all Iam doing is rebuilding what was on the house when bought. It was left interest since 1988

Old 12-02-12, 09:43 PM
If your framing with 2x10's, 16 on center, the longest span you should use is 13 feet. And depending on the decking material, it may call for 12" on center. You would have been better off framing the deck parallel with the house and every 12 feet, have a triple 2x10 carrying the 2x10 framing with joist hangers. Also lag a 2x10 into the house catching either the sill or studs. At least this way the decking material will be perpendicular to the house and look much better.

But the one thing that could change everything are the building codes for your area!!!! Look into it. An architect or structural engineer would be the safest bet.

Old 12-02-12, 10:34 PM
Can a ledger be attached on a 18 inch over hand with a rim band? I believe there are joist brackets on the inside if the rim band

Old 12-02-12, 11:22 PM
Can't say about NY but in SC 2x10 Pine can be spanned 16 ft at 16" on center. I have that in many places of my house and if codes arn't a consideration then it definitely works. More than that is pushing it.

Old 12-02-12, 11:33 PM
I don't see any joist hangers in your pictures. Did you use any? If not, good luck if you're hoping a couple of nails/screws through the rim board will keep the joists tied together. Also, is there any preservative on the framing members (meaning pressure-treated)? If not, another "good luck."

I don't think I'd worry about the rock moving if its bottom is below the frost line. Highly unlikely to go anywhere.

Old 12-03-12, 05:26 AM
The wood is pressure treated southern pine. All the joist are nailed and bracketed to the ledger. I used 5 inch lag screws.i will update the photos today. Thanks agin for the comments