How to temporarily cover/insulate/add-walls-to an outdoor deck

Old 12-16-12, 01:34 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile How to temporarily cover/insulate/add-walls-to an outdoor deck

Hi! We have a deck that runs along the side of our house. To add some square footage for a party, we were thinking about insulating/covering the open areas of the deck (it'll be about 40F that day) and throw in a few portable heaters. The deck has a roof and is about 10 feet high with a fence/rail that goes about 4 feet. Basically, convert it to a very-temporary sunroom/greenhouse.

Are there materials out there we can use? We have posts available about every 5 feet of the deck to hang things onto. If there are an abundance of options and we can be selective, fairly heat-containing, transparent (wonderful view outside!), and light (in terms of weight) would be wonderful.

I'd rather not drill into the deck if it can be helped: maybe some strong adhesives out there?

Or is this terribly unfeasible and costly? We have a 2 week time frame, if it matters. Thank you for all opinions or advice in advance! We greatly appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-12, 03:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 176 Votes on 156 Posts
Covering the sides with plastic might work. It wouldn't necessarily be energy efficient but should work ok for the party. I doubt tape alone would hold it in place but tape and staples should work.... and staples while a pain to remove - don't leave big holes.

Old 12-16-12, 08:34 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The folks down the street rent a tent from a "party company" that looks like it does just what you are looking for. I'm not sure how expensive or available they would be in your area, but it's a thought.
Good luck with your party.