Deck over concrete patio

Old 02-19-13, 07:39 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Deck over concrete patio

Hi all...

Im looking for some tips on building a ground level deck over an existing concrete slab patio.

The current footprint is about 12'X28'. I want to extend the decking out to about 16' and cover the entire 28'. The patio door has two steps down to the existing concrete patio. The patio is 7" below the last step. My plan is to use 2X6's and fasten them to the concrete patio using galvanized brackets, then lay the decking on top of that. That should get me to about 7", and level with the bottom step. I will pour some concrete footings under the section of deck that I am extending over the grass.

My questions:
I know a deck needs air flow underneath. Will 6" off of the patio be sufficient?

Is there any type of moisture barrier I can lay over the concrete under the deck?

How far apart should the joists be, 16" on center??

I do not plan to attach the deck to the house at all, it should move with the patio. The existing concrete does not have any cracks and does have a good slope away from the house. It is just ugly. I dont want to go through breaking it up and removing because my house is on a hill and there is no access for large machinery or vehicles to the back (stairs in the front going to the yard). Getting the concrete out of there will be a real b!*ch.The house is in the northeast and the house and patio are about 12 years old...

Thanks in advance for any comments...

Old 02-20-13, 06:20 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Not sure I would do it, but it might work. And it will also be a great gathering place for neighborhood cats and skunks.

Old 02-20-13, 08:21 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What about bricks or pavers instead? I did a job like that once.

Old 02-21-13, 01:03 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
There are some relatively painless remedies for a concrete deck that is just ugly, but is otherwise in good condition and functional. I would consider giving the concrete surface a face lift, consisting of first uniformly sandblasting it (with a fan-tip nozzle) to remove all of the dirt and surface mortar, "gently" exposing the coarse aggregate particles close to the surface. Going too deep will make the surface too rough, so just a brush-off blasting is the trick. Then give it several coats of Kure-N-Seal, which will bring out the various colors of the rock and minimize both moisture intrusion and future dirt staining. The finished product will have a colorful and wet appearance. Resealing every few years will keep it fresh-looking, at very little cost.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: