Railing on flat EPDM roof

Old 03-11-13, 09:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Railing on flat EPDM roof

I have a flat roof over my sun porch covered with EPDM. The railing that is around the roof has 8 sections that are about 55" each. The end posts are lag bolted to the house and there are 6 4 x 4 posts that connect the railing. Each 4 x 4 is attached to directly to the plywood with a bracket and wrapped in copper flashing. The posts and railing are very wobbly and I am looking to for a way to reinforce it to. The roof is new so pulling it up is not an option and I also do not want to cause any leaks. Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-13, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Votes on 228 Posts
My idea would have been to fix the railing before the roof was repaired.

Is this railing 3 sided? If so, you could install some corner bracing at the 2 corners. If the 4x4's stick up higher than the top of the railing, you could cut those off flush with the top of the railing and then install one continuous wide railing cap (like a 2x6 or 2x8) across all the front sections, which would stiffen the railing against outward thrust and would help tie the posts together as one unit- that way each front section would not be able to move independently. You could add a new piece of chamfered 4x4 on top just for looks.

Posting a picture of the railing might help us see what you've got. If you have to get on the roof and walk around, it would be a good idea to get some sheets of foam to use as a sidewalk.

Old 03-11-13, 01:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Votes on 127 Posts
Welcome to the forums Chris!

Pics often help us better understand what you are dealing with - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html