How to level "below grade" footings with each other?

Old 03-16-13, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to level "below grade" footings with each other?

I'm constructing a pergola on a brick patio. The 4 corner posts won't be on the patio itself; I'm going to remove bricks in the corners and pour 18" concrete footings. The posts will be secured to the footings with heavy-duty angle ties.

Since the footings will be below the level of the brick, and they'll be about 12' from each other, I'm wondering how to make sure they're level with each other so that the pergola is also level?

I don't want to pull up more bricks than necessary. I know the patio itself isn't level; it's sloped to allow for proper drainage.

I hope my description isn't confusing and someone can give me some help with this.

thanks very much!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-13, 08:00 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
A transit, some rebar and a good mallet. The procedure is to drive the rebar down to the flush top level of where you want your concrete to be and then pour to the top of the rebar. Your pads will be pretty darn close to level with final adjustments made when you anchor your posts to the footers. If you are doing a double pour, use two rebar per hole set at the different depths. An electronic transit that gives you a tone would allow this to be a one man job.

Old 03-16-13, 08:04 AM
thanks but i'm not sure i understand how rebar and a mallet will make the 4 corner footings level with each other.

can you explain in more detail?

thanks.

Old 03-16-13, 08:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
You use the transit to find out where the top of the rebar/footer should be and then drive the rebar down to that height. You keep the transit in the same spot, just spin it around to each of the holes.

Old 03-16-13, 08:36 AM
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
Rebar

thanks but i'm not sure i understand how rebar and a mallet will make the 4 corner footings level with each other.

can you explain in more detail?
This is a short length(usually 24 in.) of rebar driven into the ground within the planned perimeter of the footing. The top end is at the same level as the top of the footing. The transit is used to get top ends of all four corners to the same level.

Old 03-16-13, 08:45 AM
I must be missing something...I drive a 24" length of rebar into the ground at one of the footings. how does this help me get the other 3 corner footings at the same level?

remember, these are all below the level of the brick.

Old 03-16-13, 09:12 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Put a line and line level to corners with rebar and measure down to top of form.

Old 03-16-13, 09:28 AM
haha!!! of course; that makes perfect sense! and a simple explanation for weekend constriction idiots like me!!!

Old 03-16-13, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
For those who don't have transits and to keep it simple like me.Good luck.